Intake for D90 with 200tdi Disco motor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2015, 08:36 PM
pdsftw
Philip
None

Intake for D90 with 200tdi Disco motor

So, as part of my plan to slowly go through this truck and fix a lot of the neglect (did lots of fluid changes, have a new fuel filter delivering soon thanks to this forum).

I need some help with the intake. Right now, the intake is coming from the left lower inlet (heater is drawing from the wing-top inlet). All the connections have fairly rotten connections and the air filter is needing to be replaced. The inline air filter housing is aftermarket and I am thinking it might need to go (though the housing does appear to be real carbon haha).

I would like to remove, clean, and reinstall the entire intake through to the turbo. Here are my questions:

- Should I try to find a 200tdi disco intake? Any good sources for those?
- Good aftermarket inline air filters I should look at?
- Good source for flex piping? Obviously they are simple, but I am sure there are some that are better than others.
- The few parts between the flex hose and the lower side inlet are also moving around and certainly not water/air tight (little hard to access or see under the heater, so this is mainly what I am feeling at this point). Should I take the heater off or the wing to expose everything and make sure all seals are good?

Any suggestions would be great - I want to do this right as I would like to add a snorkel on this truck, but it's worthless without proper plumbing down the line! In the mean time, I might just slip on a conical filter until I have all the proper pluming together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2015, 08:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Hard to see but do you have a Defender timing case with Disco manifolds? Anyway. The whole thing is non stock so you have to customize it whatever way you want.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 1st, 2015, 09:00 PM
pdsftw
Philip
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Hard to see but do you have a Defender timing case with Disco manifolds? Anyway. The whole thing is non stock so you have to customize it whatever way you want.
Im not too sure - definitely disco intake and exhaust manifolds. I was told the whole drivetrain is from a '94 disco (lt230, lt77, etc).

I figured that I would have to go custom, but didnt know if anyone had a good sealed inline airbox they recommended, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2015, 09:57 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Could you build a bracket to house the OEM cleaner where the AC compressor usually goes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 1st, 2015, 10:39 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
I have the same thing going on with my 110. I have a factory disco cleaner, but I'm missing some pieces. Currently I'm running the OG oil-bath air cleaner, and it's not a good scene...
Old November 1st, 2015, 10:45 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
This is where I'd like to put mine but need to figure out a proper bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3059131627.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	133708  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:16 AM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Could you build a bracket to house the OEM cleaner where the AC compressor usually goes?
I was thinking that same place but fear that the vibrations could be too much.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:24 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
man that is tight! i say replace your wiper bottle with one for the right wing, relocate everything on the left wing and mount it horizontally there.

putting it over the timing case is just a PITA, and get in the way of all kinds of servicing/maintenance.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:06 PM
pdsftw
Philip
None

I did a little research and came up with a few different sources for canister air cleaners around the web:

Enginaire Filters
Advanced Air Cleaner Systems
https://www.donaldson.com/
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:38 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsftw View Post
I did a little research and came up with a few different sources for canister air cleaners around the web: Enginaire Filters Advanced Air Cleaner Systems https://www.donaldson.com/
Thanks for sharing. Where to mount is the next challenge.

Old November 4th, 2015, 04:07 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Called and spoke to the guys at Engineaire. Sounds like for the 200/300 application their model 3FWE1 would be the right canister. In plastic Approx 3lbs, 14' long 8' OD. Under $100.

Certainly lighter than the OEM canister Ive been wrestling with.
Old November 12th, 2015, 06:10 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

What does your existing carbon unit not do? Filters that fit it hard to source? Could it just be relocated?

For Disco 200Tdi into 110:

I dispensed with the K&N filter it was fitted with and put the stock 200Tdi filter in the ac slot with a simple mount of 2 lengths of 1" square tube. The original clamping brackets were bolted to them. Then 4 bolts into the ac mount (don't recall the size but the head is 17mm). I had to re-orient the housing drain, hence the ss patch atop the unit. It's been there 2yrs and seen plenty of washboard. It's also lighter than an ac compressor and has no belt to add torque.

Discovery timing case has a water pump with connections top and bottom, defender is off to right side.

I went to a marine supply for wet/dry exhaust hose, a bit too beefy for tight maneuvering though.

Yes some rtv around joints is a good thing, put it on the turbo flange, not in the hose to keep it out of the vanes.

Doesn't your turbo intake face forward?

Edit: this set up obviously needs the belt driven fan nixed, just remembered that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	134498   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	134499  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, 90, d90, disco, motor, tdi