Insurance – Rollovers and Sway bars - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Insurance – Rollovers and Sway bars

Just a hypothetical question for the group.

Say you remove the sway bars from your NAS D-90 and it was involved in a single vehicle crash and rolled. Could the lack of sway bars provide the insurance company a reason to deny vehicle or medical coverage? I would think so. How about a several inch lift from springs and/or larger diameter tires? Being obscenely top heavy from a loaded aftermarket safari rack? Or the combination of all four?

At least the NAS cage worked here. Just think if this was a ROW. Food for thought …
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollover.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	46279  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Just a hypothetical question for the group.

Say you remove the sway bars from your NAS D-90 and it was involved in a single vehicle crash and rolled. Could the lack of sway bars provide the insurance company a reason to deny vehicle or medical coverage? I would think so. How about a several inch lift from springs and/or larger diameter tires? Being obscenely top heavy from a loaded aftermarket safari rack? Or the combination of all four?

At least the NAS cage worked here. Just think if this was a ROW. Food for thought …
In my opinion it all comes down to the adjuster, and after 20 years of dealing with all sorts of claims both personal and professional it's a mess. It's kinda like fighting a case before a judge, but like that you can appeal. Most don't and take the loss.

"We" are kinda out on all of this insurance stuff because out vehicles are not "classic cars", but if you dont use it as a daily driver you can get classic car insurance. My D90's are listed as daily drivers so I am rolling the dice everytime I hit the road or trail. The sway bar shouldn't matter I doubt if anyone would look at an accident in that manner (unless you took out a school bus) to find you at fault. In the end you're flipping a coin!
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:58 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
The sway bar shouldn't matter I doubt if anyone would look at an accident in that manner (unless you took out a school bus) to find you at fault. In the end you're flipping a coin!

Never underestimate what insurance companies can do.

True story. My house was struck by lightning a few months ago. It blew a big hole in my brick chimney, fried a few GFI circuits, FiOS boxes, a big Plasma and LCD, garage door openers, etc. I fixed the GFIs and Verizon fixed the FiOS boxes (thank you, Verizon). The insurance company (Allstate) paid everything else without hesitation, about $7500. Shoot, I was asking them to make the check smaller. They were pricing replacement TV’s off JR Music world and Best Buy’s website with delivery and install. I said save the $$ as I will head to Costco and install myself. They countered by “take the $$ and buy a nice dinner with the extra on us.” A month later they called and asked if a surge protector was used (yes, as I said in the initial call and following paperwork) and for the make and motel number of the surge protector. A week later a FedEx package shows up with a prepaid return FedEx package and a note saying to mail the surge protector back as it included a warranty and the insurance company will seek to recoup the $$. Sounds fine, I send them the surge protector. Last week the insurance company called saying two independent testing companies said the surge protector was functioning fine. I am like, okay, sounds good. They ask additional questions like are you SURE it was used. Yes it was – multiple devices were plugged into it, welcome so come see how it was configured. Some devices fried, some did not (AV receiver, DVD, etc.). They asked if I still have the Plasma and LCD and are they available for inspection. Yes they are, still in my basement, come have a look, and haul them out for me, that Plasma is 200 lbs and I don’t know how to get rid of it. I asked them if they were aware that TVs and boxes can get fried through the coax cable (RG6 quad shield) as well as the 120v? The rep said she will investigate and call back to schedule an house visit.

This was my first homeowner’s claim after 20 years with a clean record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

True, the CATV/Fios should be grounded to a seperate 8' ground rod for excellent protection. More often they ground to the common strand that the power company has (like everyone else). There should also be a redundant ground to the home water pipes, but most homes have went to plastic supply systems so most likley this is not the case.

I ditched the plasma a few years back...too heavy like you said and it's a power hog! I recently picked up a 42" Sony Google TV for my home office and I love the thing!! Sounds like AllState is doing ok with keeping their customers happy for the most part. I switched to State Farm when I moved to Texas and although I have only had one claim (d90 windshield) they seem ok...we shall see...
Old January 18th, 2012, 03:58 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Not all Land Rovers have sway bars - my 1991 Hunter Range Rover didn't have them and most of the ROW Defenders don't have them. The sway bars were mostly added to upmarket vehicles which were expected to spend most of their time on pavement. Base model Defenders in countries outside of the US market are commonly found without sway bars.
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I agree with Bill. It will probably be determined by the person who is in charge of giving you money or trying to get money from you. And as all things the scrutiny with which they look will increase as the amount of that money figure increases. You lock it up and hit a pole or a parked car, probably no big deal. You take a turn too fast and roll it and kill someone in the truck with you or someone on the street and ya your exposure goes up exponentially.
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:23 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
The best way to get an answer to that question is to read your policy, but there is very little chance that your policy contains an exclusion that would defeat coverage in the event that your sway bars were removed.
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You will find in most state DMV regulations you are not allowed to modify the factory suspension. Yes the dealers do this on a bunch of our brothers Jeeps. Not to mention all the lifted trucks here. If they want they can, the insurance company, deny claims if they find out that the vehicle has been modified and that modification attributed to the accident. It just goes to prove that we need to drive responsibly. I will not own a Defender with out some type of roll bar. There is nothing to keep your head from turning into mush unless you have one. Looking at crashed Defenders in the UK will make you think twice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
insurance