Insurance - NYC - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 8th, 2009, 05:58 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I have Allstate.. thats messed up, usually they are pretty good !

Alas I learned long ago that its better to keep auto insurance between cars, to keep the grandfathered rate, rather than starting all over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2009, 08:09 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

I have amerprise, got it thru costco, at the time it was about $300 cheaper per year than the geico policy.

you should consider jersey city as well. we looked at every building in jc and hoboken before we decided on jc. it's a walk to the path and you can take ferry as well. I do enjoy the atmosphere in hoboken; however, I appreciate the fact that I get some peace and quite when I come home. LOL
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola
I do enjoy the atmosphere in hoboken; however, I appreciate the fact that I get some peace and quite when I come home. LOL
My parents have Costco, so I'll give that a look too.

I'll have to take a look in Jersey City for sure. Regarding noise, I might go crazy if it's that quiet in JC. Haha. I live and work in probably the two loudest parts of NYC. I live practically on top of Canal St., and work at WTC, where they're still taking down a building right next to my office window that sustained significant structural damage when WTC7 fell. Yeah, it's nearly 10 years later and they're still taking down, but for good reason on this one...high levels of asbestos in the building materials.

Thanks a lot for all of the recommendations, guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	office-1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	22848   Click image for larger version

Name:	office-2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	22849  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Both places are good. Just depends on what your needs are. If you have a defender no matter where you live in JC or Hoboken you are going to want to garage it. They salt the shit out of the roads from what I remember. I think Hoboken has cops on horse so you should be all set.
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

The two photos isn't that the BNY building? If so, used to work there. Then I left for 86 Trinity Place. Now I commute every morning to White Plains; it sucks! I miss working in the city!
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho
My parents have Costco, so I'll give that a look too.

I'll have to take a look in Jersey City for sure. Regarding noise, I might go crazy if it's that quiet in JC. Haha. I live and work in probably the two loudest parts of NYC. I live practically on top of Canal St., and work at WTC, where they're still taking down a building right next to my office window that sustained significant structural damage when WTC7 fell. Yeah, it's nearly 10 years later and they're still taking down, but for good reason on this one...high levels of asbestos in the building materials.

Thanks a lot for all of the recommendations, guys!
look into Paulus Hook area in JC, you will be surprised how different it is compare to rest of the JC.

good luck with your search! it'd be nice to see another defender running around here..haha
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
[QUOTE=rijosho]My parents have Costco, so I'll give that a look too.

Damn, thats some location to live in with a defender!. NJ? tax up the kazoo, and an *exit tax* if you sell.
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

LOL, given how bad the road condition is in jersey city, Defender is the perfect car to have!!
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

I don't believe the roads in jersey city are that bad. Imola I don't believe I have seen your 90 yet in JC? What color do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imola
LOL, given how bad the road condition is in jersey city, Defender is the perfect car to have!!
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM
karlusmagnus
Karl O'Donoghue
71SiiA

Why don't you get antique insurance through Hagerty or someone like that for a few hundred bucks? You live in NYC, therefore, according to Hagerty, and similar companies, you use public transportation. All you need is locked covered garage.

Karl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c
I don't believe the roads in jersey city are that bad. Imola I don't believe I have seen your 90 yet in JC? What color do you have?
oh it is that bad, try the Christopher Columbus Dr. when you exit the tpk. it's worse than most NYC roads! LOL

mine's cons. green, it's not here with me in JC since we only have one parking spot and we need a DD.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Woop woop. It's (almost) official. License is expiring so I have to switch that over to NYC. Figured I may as well do the registration and the insurance at the same time even though they don't expire for a few more months. Of course the whole thing of having a garage in NJ doesn't get me any discounts because they initially said they wouldn't write a policy for NYC if my car was in NJ. So, I had Progressive in NJ for $550 every 6 months, and now in NYC Progressive under my NYC address it's $597 every 6 months with the same exact policy matched to my coverages I had in NJ. I had always expected it to cost double my NJ, but I'll eat the $41 no problem.

Tomorrow I'll be an official NYC resident, with NY tags on the truck and everything.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Woop woop. It's (almost) official. License is expiring so I have to switch that over to NYC. Figured I may as well do the registration and the insurance at the same time even though they don't expire for a few more months. Of course the whole thing of having a garage in NJ doesn't get me any discounts because they initially said they wouldn't write a policy for NYC if my car was in NJ. So, I had Progressive in NJ for $550 every 6 months, and now in NYC Progressive under my NYC address it's $597 every 6 months with the same exact policy matched to my coverages I had in NJ. I had always expected it to cost double my NJ, but I'll eat the $41 no problem.

Tomorrow I'll be an official NYC resident, with NY tags on the truck and everything.
What do you guys do that rent in the city for your address on your license? Do you change it every time you move?
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:21 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yeah, basically. I had updated with the sticker you throw on the back of your license for a change in address, because otherwise I wasn't getting my registration renewal information.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Yeah, basically. I had updated with the sticker you throw on the back of your license for a change in address, because otherwise I wasn't getting my registration renewal information.
Bummer. Are you going to park the 90 in the city now or keep it in NJ?
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Finally getting a respectable tag on that 90.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:38 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
This is where it gets "tricky". They will not insure a car in NY if they know it is garaged in another state (let's say for example NJ). If you do not have a residence in (NJ), then you can not register (nor renew registration) the car in (NJ). You can only register the car in the state of your residence, and to register the car in the state of your residence you must also prove that the car is insured in the state you plan to register your vehicle. So basically in this example there is no way that a car can be "permanently" garaged in a state other than your residence. Confusing enough? I thought so.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
So what is the rental cost of a garage in midtown? $1,200/month?
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
With a Defender you're further limited to the number of garages you can actually use in NYC, because many cap out around 6'4" in clearance. I think my buddy's LR3 was around $550 or more a month over in Murray Hill.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:55 AM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

that's a win horsey.. i really like the new NY license plates.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
insurance