Insurance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:24 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Insurance

I am posting this in the help section because, well I need help. I have a buyer lined up for my truck, but he lives in CA and is having difficulty finding someone to "properly" insure the truck. This seems to come up because the truck has a diesel engine in it and is worth more than NADA. He is trying to get an agreed value policy as the truck is rather expensive.

This is according to him: "I can probably get the truck registered but not insure it. I talked to a number of insurance companies. There is only one who will think about it if it is appraised by a certified auto appraiser. So I talked to appraisers and the first thing they wanted to know if the truck has been modified. When I told them about the diesel engine, they said that they can't certify it to the insurance company because it is not the same emission engine and needs approval from the California Air Resource Board. So I called CARB and it is rather complicated."

He goes on to say: "I got the feeling after talking to insurance companies that many policies for NAS trucks with diesel engines will be voided if the insurance companies discover that they can get away with paying nothing by challenging the legality of the registration and of the truck. If it were me, I would ask the insurance company to state explicitly in the policy that the truck has a diesel engine, which was what I had intended to do. They can still challenge the registration and the legality of the truck but the policyholder would have a much better chance of prevailing in either arbitration or in court."

After reading many posts here and on other forums I have found many people that do in fact have agreed value policies on NAS Defender with diesel engines in them. Can someone please help me out? Or at least shed some light or direction to my/buyers little problem. This gentleman really wants this truck and I really want to sell it to him. I believe that he will take good care of it, and will truly use it for what it was made to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

I have spoken to MetLife who insures my cars including my D-90 and they were willing to insure the Defender for the going market rate as long as I supllied them with an appraisal and current photos of the truck. I have not done this as yet, but it sounded easy enough as explained to me by Met Life.
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:32 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Apparently getting an appraisal with the diesel engine in the truck is causing some of the problem. I think that all of these problem are coming into light because of the diesel and because of the state...CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

true Ca emissions are among the toughest in the country if not the toughest.
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. Any insurer should not care about the type of enigne that is in the vehicle. Stated value insurance will cover this just as they do hot rods, and other vehicles that have hopped up engines, etc. Stated value is based on the acceptance of the appraisal by a third party. Tell him to find a local antique/hot rod appraiser and talk to them about how to deal with insurance in CA.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
insurance