Insulation in 110 200tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2016, 09:05 AM
rjwellman
Robbie
None

Insulation in 110 200tdi

Looking to do some insulation in the truck and looking for advice... For those of you who've done this, does it make sense (is it necessary) to pull the dash out? I would imagine getting insulation behind the dash is a good idea, but want to hear some thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2016, 09:20 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwellman View Post
Looking to do some insulation in the truck and looking for advice... For those of you who've done this, does it make sense (is it necessary) to pull the dash out? I would imagine getting insulation behind the dash is a good idea, but want to hear some thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Under the bonnet, inside the door bottoms and over the trans tunnel would be the my first areas I'd address. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. Even the brand new 300tdi's I've driven were loud and somewhat difficult to hold conversations or hear the radio at highway speeds. Just the nature of the vehicle IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 6th, 2016, 09:24 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Looking to do some insulation in the truck and looking for advice... For those of you who've done this, does it make sense (is it necessary) to pull the dash out? I would imagine getting insulation behind the dash is a good idea, but want to hear some thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
IMHO just buy the real rubber molded mat system.

Don't try to diy unless you're a master of fabrication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2016, 09:39 AM
rjwellman
Robbie
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
IMHO just buy the real rubber molded mat system.

Don't try to diy unless you're a master of fabrication.
Like the Exmoor one? Or is there another you'd suggest?
Old November 6th, 2016, 10:22 AM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
For the enginebay, I put Eastwood X-mat underhood insulator for the hood, a Noisekiller engine blanket and a 300 tdi sound proof valve cover cut to fit 200 tdi (Product Details - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts).

I used leftover x-mat to line the transmission tunnel and where I could reach on the bulkhead. I didn't remove the dash. Make sure you have the foam seal sound insulator for the transmission hole (SEAL GEAR LEVER DEFENDER 90, RNN992, ETX500050 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts).

For the inside, I lined dynamat, Sound deadener showdown MLC and CCF for the doors and put 3/4" rubber padding from tractor supply to line the floors (4 ft. x 6 ft. x 3/4 in. Thick Rubber Stall Mat - For Life Out Here). I used dynaliner for the roof. I plan on getting an exmoor moulded matting system as well.

All of this, made it quiet-ER, but not quiet. I still bought pilot earmuffs for when my kids ride with me.
Old November 6th, 2016, 01:29 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Like the Exmoor one? Or is there another you'd suggest?
I've only seen the exmoor trim version, unfortunately...I don't know much about the other options (like the Wright Offroad). My guess is that there is some kind of "genuine" version that also costs significantly more than the other options
Old November 6th, 2016, 02:06 PM
hcdmueller
Chris Mueller
88 D-90

As far as I can tell Wright Off road makes the Exmoor mat. You just pay more for the brand name. I went straight to wright off road and saved a lot of money. That was before the brexit stuff so now it would be even cheaper. The guy is really nice to deal with too. Give him a call. Much faster than email.

The mat system is the single greatest improvement to my interior. It cut noise down substantially.
Old November 6th, 2016, 03:27 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcdmueller View Post
As far as I can tell Wright Off road makes the Exmoor mat. You just pay more for the brand name. I went straight to wright off road and saved a lot of money. That was before the brexit stuff so now it would be even cheaper. The guy is really nice to deal with too. Give him a call. Much faster than email.
Sounds good Might explain why Wright doesn't have prices listed online!
Old November 7th, 2016, 01:39 PM
rjwellman
Robbie
None

Looks like the cost of the Wright is better by about 30% compared to Exmoor, but I'm not sure how much shipping will cost from the UK. Still checking on that part.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, 200tdi, tdi