Insulation between headliner and roof - Defender Hard Top Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2013, 11:04 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Insulation between headliner and roof - Defender Hard Top Question

What insulation type has proven effective to install between the headliner and the roof?

I get the Dynamat approach - for sound deadening and attenuation, and it sticks and it must insulate "some"...

Has anyone done the Dynamat AND some dead air product on the roof plus the headliner recovered ?

Closed Foam, Batt "split" as I understand that there is only a thin space to work with....etc.

Thanks!

COSteve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Canol109
Dave
1991 Defender 110

Registry
I've used a product that I got at my local lumber/hardware store. It is used for carpet underlay. Almost the same product that you put under laminate hardwood flooring.

A lot cheaper solution than Dynamat.

It definitely reduce the noise and gives some additional insulation.

It comes in large width rolls, easy to cut and form. You should be able to find this at any carpet supplier or Home Depot...as that is where I got it from.

It is totally synthetic and won't hold any water. I ended up using the "right stuff" gasket sealer as 3M spray adhesives wouldn't hold when it go hot...plus the spray inside the truck was nasty. The Sealer has worked fantastically.

I can't seem to recall the name of the product...here's a pic if that helps at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/42u7abbjn2aoeh9/vxW07G3V_u
1955 Series 1 86 Hardtop 173601415

1955 Series 1 86 Hardtop 57130577 ~ just a heap o' parts now
1985 Series III 109 x-MoD BATUS 77 KC 63 < sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 8th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Reflectix .... looks like those silver bubble wrap window shades....but it is not the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-ST16...ords=reflectix

Its a much tougher material....thicker mylar and very effective. Ultralight backpackers use it to insulate their cooking pots to save fuel.
I originally used it for the same then began to experiment.

I taped together a simple wrap for a gatorade bottle ... and it keeps it cold for hours.

Now i use it mostly as an impromptu cooler.....every flight i take from the USA to Israel, i make a pouch.....stuff it with hard to find Pork products and smuggle it into the Jewish state.

Also made a pouch for my camelbak.

I already imported 2 rolls here to Israel to line my roof, but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
Saving my pennies to dynamat it first. As expensive as the Dynamat is on Amazon...Its triple here.

Anyway....Refelectix is thin and cheap and extremely light weight.

It can be found and Home Depot and Lowes.

Also a ton of uses can be found on Expedition Portal forum.
Search for Reflectix.

Good Luck

Edit: Here is an example of a roof install.
http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintena...acproblems.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I used Second Skin Damplifier Pro for dampening, and then i applied Heat Wave Pro over that for insulation using 3M spray adhesive. That was a highly effective combo. Takes very little heat or AC to manage the 110 cabin now.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I used Second Skin Damplifier Pro for dampening, and then i applied Heat Wave Pro over that for insulation using 3M spray adhesive. That was a highly effective combo. Takes very little heat or AC to manage the 110 cabin now.
Sounds like good stuff....

If i remember correctly doesnt your truck have the LaSalle Trim fiberglass headliner installed ? If so i wonder if maybe the Lasalle has more room between it and the roof. I have never seen it in person.
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
yep, LaSalle. I couldn't comment either as I have no idea how much room the OEM has. LaSalle gives you about an inch of space I think.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
I used Dynamat and Dynaliner (closed cell foam) on mine
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am in a similar boat looking for insulation for my D90 roof. My research lead me to a product called 3M Thinsulate Acoustic (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../applications/ )

Unfortunately, this is not readily available to the public. Fortunately, there is a chap on ebay selling some :-) I just picked up a 5'x10' piece for $75 (he has more, just search 3m acoustic thinsulate) and am looking forward to receiving it. Definitely check out this product--seems inexpensive (at least through the ebay guy, comes in at $1.50/sq ft), great sound deadener, hydrophobic, and lightweight. Worth a look.

(BTW--I have absolutely nothing to do with the ebay seller)
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Chris, how did your Thinsulate install go?
For the forum.. so optimal would be a "dynamat" install for sound, AND the Thinsulate install for heat / cool insulation?
COSteve
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Darby
Darby Richards
1992 Defender 110 200TDI

I'm currently in the process of insulating my roof. I used the CLD tiles (Used in the center of each section - between the ribs of the roof), wrapped the wires with harness tape (cloth tape - to stop and ratteling) and then i'm going to install 3M insulation.
Check out http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com...product-prices

They have some great products - I have no affiliation with this company.
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:08 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I used Second Skin extensively throughout my 240Z. The noise reduction as well as heat/cool retention inside is noteworthy. They provide an excellent product.
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
I'll second what Rob recommended; the Reflectix stuff from Home Depot/Lowes works well, is cheap, and easy to work with. I installed it when I re-did my headliner-made a difference both for temps but also with sound. Tough to tell how much given what I did with the headliner too but for the cost and effort it was worth it.
r-
Ray
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
Chris, how did your Thinsulate install go?
For the forum.. so optimal would be a "dynamat" install for sound, AND the Thinsulate install for heat / cool insulation?
COSteve
I still have not figured out my headliner so I have not installed it. My wife leaving her job has put a stop to a lot of the projects that I have planned, so the Thinsulate is still in my garage waiting on some time/$$. I would love to hear what others are doing--it will help make my learning curve shorter :-)
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM
coffee
John Oates
1993 NAS Defender 110 #367/500

Registry
How much space do you have for both the dynamat and the dynaliner? I was planning on using dynamite extreme coupled with either 1/4" or 1/2" dynaliner, but am not sure how much space I have to work with. Should I do 1/4" dynalyner or do you think I can do 1/2" over the dynamat? thanks for your input - I appreciate it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions