installing Warn XD9000i winch in ARB bumper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM
eric_besore
Eric Besore

installing Warn XD9000i winch in ARB bumper

I did some searching in the forums and found a couple of threads on installing an XD9000i in an ARB bumper, and what I read was that you could either:

a) install the winch on it's "back" so that the feet are mounted through the roller fairlead requiring putting new mounting holes in the roller fairlead.

b) position it upright, but cut the top of the ARB bumper.

I would really rather mount it upright. So my question is has anyone did b) and how did it turn out? From looking at pics of the bumper it looks like you could cut away the top a little bit and the winch would just stand up through it. Doing some research on Warn's website it looks like the dimensions and mounting bolt pattern are identical between the xd9000 and xd9000i except for xd9000 have the remote control pack so it being a lilttle bit shorter.

So has anyone mounted the xd9000i upright in the ARB after modifying the ARB, and if so do you have pics or suggestions?

My new ARB bumper arrives this weekend, already have the xd9000i.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Besore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2006, 09:19 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I bought a 24" long Ramsey winch tray from Summit Racing and trimmed the two front corners with a Sawzall to match the "tapers" of the inside of the ARB bumper (make a cardboard template). The winch will mount upright on the tray. I used a couple of short pieces of angle iron 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 2" long to make brackets to support the back corners of the tray - the front will bolt up to existing holes in the bumper. You might have to slightly enlarge the cutout in the right (passenger side) of the bumper support bracket where the winch motor efits into the notch. If I had been just a touch more careful on my measurements I may have avoided that step.

This setup works real well - the diode bridge is about even with the top of the bumper where the light mounting tabs are - doesn't obstruct the radiator at all. The winch tray is predrilled for the bolt pattern of the winch and there is plenty of clearance between the back of the winch and the grill.

This also helps stiffen up the ARB bumper and the "floor" provided by the winch tray helps keep gunk out of the winch line.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I've got the same equipment. I believe the 'lying on its back' position to be stronger as the forces are directed down through the feet instead of at a tangent to direction of pull. Drilling two holes in the fairlead isn't that tough. Why do you want it upright?
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2006, 12:06 AM
eric_besore
Eric Besore

why...?

I was thinking that mounting it upright might be the best way to go since that is how the winch was designed. Also I have heard that if you mount it on it's back, that water can collect in the control housing top portion - just what I have read, don't know if that is true or not.

Eric Besore
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think Art and Jimmy both have mounted there's upright. I know Jimmy just had a 1/2" steel plate welded in between the frame rails, then drilled a few holes in it and bolted it up! Works fine!
Old March 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_besore
I was thinking that mounting it upright might be the best way to go since that is how the winch was designed. Also I have heard that if you mount it on it's back, that water can collect in the control housing top portion - just what I have read, don't know if that is true or not.
I haven't run into that problem. Of course, we don't do a lot of river fording down in Texas so I can't really comment. We do get some very heavy rains, like right now though, and everything seems to work fine afterwards.
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I had mine "lying on its back" in the ARB on my Range Rover - it was always a pain plugging in the control lead so I decided to mount it upright in the D-90. I had also heard that the drain holes in the housing for the solenoid pack were in a location where the winch was supposed to be upright. I'll get a picture and post it this evening.
Old March 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM
eric_besore
Eric Besore

Thanks

Awesome, a photo would really help me out. I appreciated it Jack.

Eric Besore
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:54 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Here are some pics of my winch installation -
Pic # 1 shows the way the winch tucks in below the horizontal bar.
Pics #2 & 3 look down at the top of the Ramsey winch tray.
Pics #4 & 5 look up from the bottom and shows the winch tray and the angle iron mounting tabs that support the back corners. If you look closely at Pic 5 you can see where I had to trim the front corners of the winch tray to match the angled front of the ARB bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	5287   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	5288  

Name:	winch3.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	5289   Click image for larger version

Name:	winch4.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	5290  

Name:	winch5.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	5291  
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM
eric_besore
Eric Besore

Jack, so did you cut the top of the ARB bumper then so that the XD9000i is poking through it?
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Mounting it upright or back down will not effect operation. I had an xi mounted back down in an ARB on a FJ80 for a number of years. The 80 was my DD and saw a lot of rain and snow and I never had a problem with water collecting in the soleniod pack.
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I didn't have to cut the ARB at all except for some slight enlargement of the motor notch in the passenger side "frame" rail - no top on mine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, arb bumper, bumper, d90, winch