Installing vent flaps - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Installing vent flaps

So... I have had a long running fantasy of cutting my non-vented bulkhead (black non functional vents, NAS 110 style) to accommodate vent flaps.

Does anyone have any thought on this? school me.

I know there is no lip for the seal, but I can glue the seals... I can weld or rivet the the brackets for the hinges and hopefully use stock parts for the lever and what not...but what else?

Is this just silly? I don't think so I don't have AC and never will, plus it is just so land rover...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Not getting enough water leaks into your landy to make you feel like it is a proper landy?

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I'll go with "silly" since you brought it up. It would be a fabrication nightmare unless the dash components are removed. There is a mesh screen that has be welded in place, etc. The plastic dash piece has to have the appropriate holes for the levers on the inside. The metal back piece between the plastic and the bulkhead is what the levers attach to, so you would have to source that also. And you end up with a couple nice leaks.

But - it sounds like something I'd try, if the burr was under my saddle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
D90user
steve

I just miss having water in my foot wells.

I have thought about the screen, I can get a series one what has tabs to rivet on, or just have no screen. That is how the OG series came didn't they?

Are all the d90 screens weld on only?

My plastic bits on the dash are the same as the vented. I do not have the NAS style dash, just the black bulkhead blackouts. I need to check again what is behind them but I believe there are the slot and notches for the lever.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
I just miss having water in my foot wells.

I have thought about the screen, I can get a series one what has tabs to rivet on, or just have no screen. That is how the OG series came didn't they?

Are all the d90 screens weld on only?

My plastic bits on the dash are the same as the vented. I do not have the NAS style dash, just the black bulkhead blackouts. I need to check again what is behind them but I believe there are the slot and notches for the lever.
Mesh is not welded but riveted and yes you would need to add (weld on) tabs for the vent mechanisms and also weld on hinges for the flaps ...

Might as well get the proper bulkhead ... Galvanized ... Painted properly and install that if you ask me.

My 0.02$

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
D90user
steve

Thanks for the info on the mesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit
Might as well get the proper bulkhead ... Galvanized ... Painted properly and install that if you ask me.

Pat
I know it. But cost is an issue for me right now.

What do you all think I could sell could my bulkhead for.? No rust, LHD.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Take in consideration also that in order to offer a
tight close, the lever that operate the flap get
a lot of pressure (squeezing the rubber seal).
Everything has to be aligned and perfectly set.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I would think your LHD NAS bulkhead would bring enough to cover the cost of a new LHD 90 style bulkhead.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
flaps