installing the diamond plate wing top protectors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:38 PM
pdella
Paul
1997, Defender Alpine White

Registry
installing the diamond plate wing top protectors

Any advice on installing the diamond plate wing top protectors that I purchased from Rovers north? Someone suggested not using the attached screws and using a special type of rivet that you can use a SSteel to screw into so you may remove it later as well as applying a bead of silicon around the edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I just did this over the weekend. No need for fancy rivnuts. I just use stainless steel hardware and locknuts on mine. You can easily reach under the wing to get at each bolt. Some protectors have a rubber liner that goes under the treadplate. I didn't use any liner or silicone. What's the point? It a Defender. Get it dirty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Some people feel that adding silicon will actually trap moisture and create more of a problem. I too used the hardware that came with mine and no silicon.
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2012, 10:35 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
The wing protectors from RN comes with a neoprene mat. Follow the instructions and use the hardware provided.
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Probably not a big deal, but since the wings are aluminum and the chequer plate is aluminum I have aluminum rivets holding mine on.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:35 PM
pdella
Paul
1997, Defender Alpine White

Registry
installing wing protector plates

I bought wing protectors from rovers north and they didn't come with instructions or a mat? I looked into installing them today and the screws for the black vents don't reach the screw anchors clips on the hood when they sit on top of the checker pieces. How did you easily screw in the bolts- it looks like I have to remove the evaporator canisters and other stuff to get to the nuts in the outside front corners.- Is it because I have a 97?
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:51 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can get ugly galvanic corrosion if the stainless screw grinds off any of the anodizing on the aluminum. A mylar washer will go a long way towards helping prevent that. I prefer sinking aluminum rivnuts into the fender and using anti-sieze on stainless screws.

Old June 4th, 2012, 09:54 PM
ghost1001
Kevin M.
'87 110 sw, ex mod tdi

Why not use aluminium pop rivets.....alumininum to aluminium to aluminium seems the best way to go....no?
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdella View Post
I bought wing protectors from rovers north and they didn't come with instructions or a mat? I looked into installing them today and the screws for the black vents don't reach the screw anchors clips on the hood when they sit on top of the checker pieces. How did you easily screw in the bolts- it looks like I have to remove the evaporator canisters and other stuff to get to the nuts in the outside front corners.- Is it because I have a 97?
My vents fit inside the opening, but why not use longer screws and the same captive nuts?
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:37 AM
2411D90
Bob Vogler
1995 D90 Fastback ST (Beluga Black)

I bought some diamond plating from AB awhile ago, but haven't installed it yet. The kit included longer screws for the vents, and the instructions indicate that you need to remove the headlight assembly on the side with the evaporative canister to get to the captive nuts.
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:18 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

So 3 years later, any changes in advice on how to attach wing top protectors? Aluminum as not to create corrosion? Rivets vs nuts/bolts?

I have some leftover roll of thin rubber padding from when I installed hardwood floors at my house. I'm tempted to use that as a rattle barrier.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diamond, protector, top, wing