Defender Source Forum banner

Installing TDI Oil Pressure Gauge

Tags
tdi
15K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Red90 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is under construction - taking pictures while doing the install...

There have been several threads where members asked about how to install TDI gauges.
There are 3 basic rules to follow:
1.) Wire correctly...
For all electrical gauges it is paramount to have a proper ground and a proper source for 12V (+).
DO NOT share or tap into an existing circuit.
If you do, the gauge will change readings based on the circuit load and strange things will happen like the gauge reading will drop when you turn on your windshield wipers for example.
Run a new brown wire from the starter solenoid to a 12V relay that is operated off the ignition circuit for the 12V (+) and run a new ground for the 12V (-).
This does not mean a new wire tapped off the ground for the spedo, it means a new ground attached directly to the bulkhead.

2.) Always solder the connections.
Crimp on connectors are a fire waiting to start.

3.) always use the correct parts:
Note the Land Rover OEM banjo, banjo bolt, oil pressure warning light, and new copper washers.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
#2 · (Edited)
The first picture above shows the stock oil filter housing with the stock oil pressure warning light.

The second and third picture above shows the correct size banjo being re-threaded for the 1/8 NPT oil pressure sending unit that came with the new gauge.

The forth - sixth picture shows the entire assembly being installed.
Since the banjo bolt is designed for the oil pressure warning light, it has the correct threads and everything just bolts together.
The oil cooler lines were removed to gain easier access

#5 ·
I've never done anything with a NPT fitting. Do I crank down on it till its "guten tight" and check for leaks later? Does the NPT need a washer (I'm guessing no due to the taper)?

I have a M10x1 adapter thats about 1" long, it screws into the stock location. OEM switch on the end like your picture and there is a 1/8 NPT that Ts into the adapter. for the M10 installation what am I looking for torque wise. I have fresh copper washers standing by.

#6 ·
No washer needed.
NPT threads are tapered, but a little silicone sealer will make sure there are not any leaks.

#8 ·
Robert, I'd like to build one of these for my Vee-Eight truck.
Some more descriptions please...
What is the # for that LR banjo bolt?
What other plumbing is needed?
It appears you're teeing off the original hole in the oil cooler plate and still using the factoring sender.

#9 ·
Robert, I'd like to build one of these for my Vee-Eight truck.
Some more descriptions please...
What is the # for that LR banjo bolt?
What other plumbing is needed?
It appears you're teeing off the original hole in the oil cooler plate and still using the factoring sender.
I bought all that stuff from Rovers North years ago.
The Banjo fitting was from a Series III oil pressure gauge.

#17 ·
My current set up has a VDO sender for pressure and a stock temp sender. Both were in a brass T into the oil filter housing.

I broke the T, of course. When I went to install the replacement T I found out it was ground down and modified to work with the housing. Is there a VDO sender that will do both pressure and temp? If so does anyone know the part number? I am trying to avoid the brass T for two senders.

I have another oil pressure sender plugged into my oil pan under the motor. Can I wire that one to the dash light?

Alex

#18 ·
I might be confused, but 300TDI have no "stock" oil temperature sender. Perhaps you are thinking of the low oil pressure warning switch?

An oil temperature sender can't be located in the pressure sender location. It needs to be located where there is a flow of oil. On a 300TDI, this is a bit of a PITA as LR removed the oil temperature sender port from the oil filter housing. 200TDI and earlier had a place for the sender.

#19 ·
I might be confused, but 300TDI have no "stock" oil temperature sender. Perhaps you are thinking of the low oil pressure warning switch? An oil temperature sender can't be located in the pressure sender location. It needs to be located where there is a flow of oil. On a 300TDI, this is a bit of a PITA as LR removed the oil temperature sender port from the oil filter housing. 200TDI and earlier had a place for the sender.
Yes- low oil pressure warning switch.

Here are the two senders I have into the T on the oil filter housing.

I have another sender with a round end on it into the oil pan.

Three wires run from my gauge- grey and blue to the oil filter housing senders, yellow to the oil pan

Attachments

#21 ·
You can buy a VDO pressure sender with a warning switch built in, if you want to go that way. That is what I did as it simplifies things. Unfortunately, you do still need something to get the sender away from the filter housing as it interferes with the oil cooler thermostat assembly, so buying a new TEE as Matthew links to is cheaper.

I assume the oil pan has the temperature sender.

#23 ·
The sender choice depends on the gauge it connects to. You need to match the ranges. The threads depends on what the threads are on the extension piece that you choose. The stock thread (stock warning switch and filter housing is M10x1.0)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.