Installing oil cooler thermostat - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 15th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Installing oil cooler thermostat

Hans,

I have the mocal thermostat that goes under the oil filter base. Question: I've never removed the filter without first draining the oil. Will oil pour out if I remove the filter without first draining the oil? It's a bit early to change the oil on Chammy.

Any other hints or tips besides making sure I have the right AN size fittings?

Thanks,

DW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM
javelinadave
-
-

No, the oil will not pour out. Land Rover has you drain and refill the cranckcase before changing the filter.
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Some oil will come out from the oil cooler, have a drip pan just in case. But it should only be the amount in the cooler, hoses and filter. The other 6 qts will stay on the oil pan. Figure about a half-quart or so maybe.

Also, you need to make sure you have the right fittings for that Mocal sandwich plate. If you have Part # SP1T like I have, It's 1/2" BSP female threaded, not a -AN fitting. Those type fittings require an extra sealing ring. The sealing face isn't chamfered on that plate, so you need this type seal.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Pro...p?Product=3240

I wanted to put mine on the other day, but I am a bit leery over the fittings I have for the oil-cooler side. The stock oil cooler has 1/2" NPT threads, but the wrong type of sealing face on them. I was about to go check mine right now actually to try and figure that part out.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I asked Mocal to send me 6AN adapters with the SP1T, which they did (two male ends), and they also included a couple of sealing rings like in your link above. The hoses I'm using were made by Rover Accessories (refit for the original oil cooler hoses) and they told me they were 6AN. So I think maybe I'm good. Eyeballing it, looks okay. Will probably make a run at it this weekend.

Thanks
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wow, holy easy easy install if you have the parts already.
30-45 minutes tops if nothing breaks, pictures will be posted later tonight.
Already have them uploaded, but I need to shower and get going to work.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Well, quick trip to work, and already I am glad I swapped in the thermostat. If nothing else, it gets the oil pressure up into the operating range much faster during startup. The oil pressure light goes out immediately, instead of the 2-3 seconds it usually takes. Right there is worth the money.

Anyways, some quick pictures and installation notes here on a web-page I threw together real quick before I left for work. I'll improve it later on when I get a chance. Feel free to ask questions.

www.siegecraft.us/rover.htm

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Oh, I also forgot to add. the Mocal sandwich plate appears to have a much better flow capacity than the stock piece. The passages are significantly larger and are also somewhat smoothed out as well to improve the flow even more. I used 1/2" ID oil lines in place of the factory ones, which should further upgrade the system.

I can't wait to add the new oil cooler this summer, but I haven't 100% decided on what to do with that yet.

-Hans

Old February 15th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Great write up and photos, Hans!

Thanks,

Doug W.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Just added some more text on the page, and resized one of the photos. Hope it helps. If our joyous host wants to add it to the tech-articles, he is more than welcome to use it.

-Hans

Old February 18th, 2005, 12:32 AM
troutrover
Christian Beck
many

Where did you get the Mocal sandwhich plate and how much?

CB
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I ordered mine from a place called Racer Parts Wholesale, it came up a few pennies short of $90 including shipping and took about a week to get here. I'll add that to the website spot too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
thermostat