Installing Iron Goat center Dash console Kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 18th, 2014, 08:23 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Installing Iron Goat center Dash console Kit

I purchased this kit: http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...e=0&eq=&key=it

I am having difficulty understanding the pictorial diagrams provided to install it. It appears that I have to remove the bottom of the dash and cut both the back panel (vent panel) and the bottom lip of the dashboard to fit it.

Has anyone installed this in a 90 that could offer some sage advice before I start?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2014, 08:29 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There are a few good threads with how-to and pics here. Have you searched iron goat dash or console?
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:39 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I did a search and although there were some discussions about which console is best and some pictures of various installations I couldn't find any materials on the installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2014, 10:29 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
I did a search and although there were some discussions about which console is best and some pictures of various installations I couldn't find any materials on the installation.
I just did an update to my build for you fitting the IG console search b777onr

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:33 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
just bring it to trevor in PA and let him do it for you.
Old March 18th, 2014, 01:31 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I find it "entertaining" and educational taking apart this truck. Having someone do it for me would not be quite the same. I learned that working on a Defender is always a Discovery (pun intended).

I "discovered" the infamous hazard switch and combination switch and their voodoo spells playing havoc with the electrics. My hazard switch decomposed in my hand. But installing some jumper wires got everything working without a switch in place (new switch on order).

I suspect taking apart the dash will reveal secrets that only a Defender can reveal. Perhaps how civilization came about. I found a wasp's next behind the headlight already. Ah those British and Lucas electrics. Many civilizations ago I used to own an MG. It brings back fond and not so fond memories.

I have already made more trips from under the truck to under the hood to in the dash than driving it!

By the way who is Trevor?

Maybe I will overwhelm my capabilities to deal with some issues like how do you shift gears with someone sitting in the center seat without getting intimate? Or why does my truck have a cage between the front and rear? Is that to prevent the Zombies coming forward?

Thanks for the advice. I will take out the chain saw and cutting torch this weekend and begin my surgery to the dash.
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:37 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Your description of this all made me laugh.

I have never been a car mechanic guy. Bicycles, yes. My car, no. Well, my defender has made me wonder if I may have missed my calling. I love working on it. That said, I don't really what however to work on some dudes 91 mazda-rati, that should have been junked a long time ago.

FYI. When I turned 15 my parents gave me a 1980 MGB limited. Every Sunday it got washed and the webber carbs got hit with a spritz.

RickM

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
console, dash, kit