Installing Great Basin Rovers Driveshafts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Installing Great Basin Rovers Driveshafts

Hey gang, out in the garage putting on my new GBR HD driveshafts but have run into an issue. Starting on the rear, the adapter plate that bolts to the rear diff has a lip that prevents it form sitting completely flush. For those that installed these, is the little gapp supposed to be there?

Thanks!

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Chris

Doing a Double double Cardon jont?

The "lip" is it on the inside of the adaptor? The adaptor should have a "pilot" so that it centers on the pinion flange and fits flush... It is probably a tight fit... In no case should the adaptor be away from a flange unless it is supported by something... If so you will have a vibration..

You can call me if you like I've installed a dozen or so.. The # is on my website..

Keith
www.rovertracks.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:58 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thanks Keith, Bill from GBR called me back and got me squared away. Yes they are double cardons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2005, 08:28 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris, I just installed a front one. (The new one I bought on the site for $50 ) Had no problem. Like Keith said, it squeezes into the flange and sits flush.
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

You and your $50 deal of the year. ugh, I should have jumped on that one when I saw it posted.

Yeah the problem was that that it all fits together a lot better when you dont put the shaft on backwards. Once Bill explained that the double cardon ends are to be mounted at the transfer case, not the diff, things went a lot smoother.

Quote:
[/size]
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Thanks Keith, Bill from GBR called me back and got me squared away. Yes they are double cardons.
Keith is talking about the double / double, cardons on both sides and about $600.00
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Digging up an old thread... Tony and I tried to mount my GBR front drive shaft yesterday only to find that it appears to be a difference in the mounting studs off the front of the transfer case between a 94 D90 and the 97's because these just dont line up with the holes. I had the shaft mounted on the 94 but it wont couple with the flange on the 97

Is this in fact true??

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Is it an early GBR double cardon? If so it should have an adaptor from the output flange to the flange on the drive shaft.
I believe that the only other output flange I am aware of the was attached to an LT230 was the D2 type for the factory Double cardon driveshaft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

There are two different front output flanges. The later flange will allow you to run the shaft without a spacer. The earlier one will not as the holes are a smaller pattern. If you have the older style, I would buy a new flange rather than the adapter, as running no adapter is stronger and less headache. However, it may not be possible if the shaft is build shorter for the adapter. Clear as mud?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hmm thanks guys..
I have one space plate with the front shaft that I swore came off the t-case/double cardon end when i pulled it off the 94. It will mount to the axle end but niether that nor the holes on the axle will line up at the t-case end.

Kieth I guess it might be.. I would say its about 5 years old.

Sound like Buck saying there are 2 different sizes is whats killing me here.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Hmm thanks guys..
I have one space plate with the front shaft that I swore came off the t-case/double cardon end when i pulled it off the 94. It will mount to the axle end but niether that nor the holes on the axle will line up at the t-case end.

Kieth I guess it might be.. I would say its about 5 years old.

Sound like Buck saying there are 2 different sizes is whats killing me here.
I have a bunch of stuff here if you need an old style flange, or old style adapter.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:44 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Cool Buck let me shoot you a PM.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

they quit using adapters now. The one I bought last year for the front had one. The new one for the back does not.
And I love you too
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Mystery solved.. Bill called me and turns out a little key info I didnt relay here was the drive shaft I pulled off is a D2 double cardon.. thus the different sized flange.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Mystery solved.. Bill called me and turns out a little key info I didnt relay here was the drive shaft I pulled off is a D2 double cardon.. thus the different sized flange.
Hey Chris. I got your pm. If you can get ahold of the d2 flange, replace that and keep the dshaft. That's the better way to do it! Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:18 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sorry.. the truck has the D2 flange on it already.. to put my GBR on, I need a stock D90 flange.

Quote:
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
drives, driveshafts, great basin rovers