Installing Extra temp. gauge - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2010, 01:48 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Installing Extra temp. gauge

Hey,
I have a 97SW and my temp gauge shots up when I run most of the power items....lights, a/c and heat. As soon as I turn them on it jumps to 3/4. I can't seem to figure it out but I know it isn't running hot. So I was thinking about installing a second one in the truck. Maybe digital. Has anyone done this and can you tell me how?

Thanks
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I tried this too because I thought other things were effecting my temp gauge. If you do this you can only run one gauge off the sending unit. I ran two wires from the sending unit to the two separate gauges and it split the negative ground so both gauges read half of the real temp. You me just want to run a new gauge and hot wire it to a direct + line to see the true temp.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
I tried this too because I thought other things were effecting my temp gauge. If you do this you can only run one gauge off the sending unit. I ran two wires from the sending unit to the two separate gauges and it split the negative ground so both gauges read half of the real temp. You me just want to run a new gauge and hot wire it to a direct + line to see the true temp.
Thanks,
I might have to do that. What are my gauge options.

Also, what if I just re-ran a new ground to the gauge. What would be a good source for that ground?

------ Follow up post added April 1st, 2010 07:47 PM ------

Does anyone know where the gauge is grounded?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions