Installing engine mounts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Installing engine mounts

Just broke another engine mount. Seems like I go through one every 6 months or so. I just ordered a set of diesel mounts from British Pacific -- Tim said they are beefier than the V8 mounts and are interchangeable except I might have to drill out the mounting holes a bit.

Can't seem to make search work on the main d-90 site.

Question: I haven't been through the drill on replacing these mounts. Anything tricky beside just jacking up the engine? Looks tricky trying to get a drill in there to widen out the holes if needed. Any comments or advice?

Thanks,

Doug W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm not sure how the diesel mounts will fit the v8. Are the 110 mounts different from the 90? Maybe we're not talking about the same mounts...
Old February 22nd, 2005, 11:00 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

110 same as a 90. There is a slight change depending on VIN. How different are the diesel mounts?

Read on Pirate that Jag V12 mounts are plug and play and very beefy. But what year Jag? Jeeze.

Doug W.

Follow-up Post:

Just posted on Pirate:

There is an easy solution, I run all diesel mounts on my truck, even with the motor conversion. I have yet to have one fail.

Note: You CANNOT run both petrol and diesel mounts on the same truck, they will cause driveline issues. And either binding in the clutch/throwout, or premature failure. You need to run the same mounts at all 4 points.

Series IIa diesel mounts are the strongest available, even over Jaguar V12 mounts. I am unsure if Defender mounts would work, I imagine early 110 mounts with the lt77 and 2.5diesel should work. To get early 110 mounts you may have to go to Paddocks, or try George at Rovers Down South, just make sure you aren't calling JFK airport.

I try to avoid buying parts from Atlantic British, I have had nothing but trouble. You can get genuine parts from Rovers North, but remember, that key word Genuine means $$$$$$. I try to support the little guy whenever possible, better service, and always sound advice.

As others have mentioned, make sure everything is properly aligned. As with suspension bolts, snug down the mounts, drive 50 miles, then retighten. You wont get the mounts perfect the first time, so let the units find their equilibruim on their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:10 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hmm, interesting. Series diesel mounts may in fact be compatible, I was thinking 300tdi and knowing that they werent going to go in.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:49 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I looked at the diesel mounts and they are much tougher -- 7/8" stud. I'm going to replace all four. The tranny mounting brackets on the frame rails are adjustable, and I'm going to move them back about 1/2 inch to take pressure off the front mounts, which are being pushed forward - reason for sheering over time.

Anything I should watch for in way of linkage, wires, etc on moving the tranny back 1/2 inch? The driveshafts will compensate for the move, but what about levers, etc? Suggestions?

Doug W.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, mount