Installing '95 A/C in '94 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2005, 07:06 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Installing '95 A/C in '94

It's southern Cal, and hot! So I found a used '95 A/C system to install, being under the impression that it would be an easy upgrade. However, I've run into a couple of problems.

1) the passenger footwell unit seems to interfere with the ECU, not allowing enough clearance behind it so that it can be mounted - is this actually the same system on a '95 and a '94, or am I in for a BIG headache? The underhood components all seem to bolt right up. Any suggestions? I hate to think about trying to relocate all that junk under the seat... it doesn't look like the wires will reach.

After doing some reading, I see that there are different types of units -- Davia, Wynn, etc. Do I have the wrong type to fit my truck?

2) The wiring harness on the '95 had two extra connectors which don't seem to be present on the '94. Looking at wiring diagrams, besides ground/fuse/etc the wires that concern me are one which is labeled ECU -> fan, and another which is ECU -> compressor. I am guessing that one wire allows the ECU to turn on the auxiliar fan depending on engine temp, and the other allows the ECU to turn off the compressor in the case of wide-open throttle. Anyone know with more certainty what this wires are, and what are the implications of not connecting them?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I can understand the the ECU being in the way as the ECU is under the seat in a 95. But I only thought the 97 system connected to the ECU? Maybe you have a 97 system?
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:21 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I helped remove it from a '95... the '95 wiring harness had these two connectors which we actually snipped off so I could take them to try to tie them into my harness....

In a '94 A/C system how does the unit mount and not interfere with the ECU? I don't think there is enough wire to relocate the ECU under the seat. If that entire housing is different in a '94 I'll be in a real mess...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2005, 02:03 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

My ECU is still behind the AC unit. I also have the Diavia so that might be why.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have a 94 with the 95 AC. The ECU is located on the side kickpanel right next to the P/S side door.

It is a TERRIBLE place for the AC but that is where it is supposed to go (it is also supposed to go there with the 94 style AC too).

Ron
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

How do I know which A/C unit this is? The only label is on the compressor - "Tama Mfg.", and it's an R-134 system.

The '94 system is different than the '95? How is it different? I would rather not move my ECU and the wiring harness which is there now.. .but with this condenser/fan unit I don't see how that's possible. Maybe the side kick panel location wouldn't be too bad....

I agree, the footroom lost to the passenger sucks, but the other alternative for the A/C is the D-110 style thorugh the vents & everyone says that doesn't cool the cabin very well (I thought about finding one of those...).

Ron, do you have any photos of your A/C system and how your ECU is located? Did you do the install/mounting yourself?
Old August 16th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Jason,
I have been cleaning the shop today and ran across a set of the ECU relocation Brackets. PM me if you are interested.
Rob
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I am not sure on pics, but I would just buy the brackets from Rob and go with it. It is REALLY easy to relocate there. No matter what AC system you get, 94 or 95 you have to relocate the ecu to the kickpanel in the same spot.
Old August 16th, 2005, 04:43 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

PM sent to Rob.

Ron, ECU's have to be relocated for all '94 A/C installs? Tyler said earlier in this thread that his ECU is behind the A/C system (and in one of the tech articles on this site - changing the PROM chip in a '94, it talks about dropping the A/C system to get to the ECU behind it).

I suppose with the system I purchased that my ECU will have to be relocated to the kick panel - just wondering what else was out there out of curiocity.

Thanks for the info, guys.
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Jason,
Thanks for the PM...shot you one back. The really early 1994 kits had the ECU located behind the evaporator...stupid place for it. Next generation of A/C kits had the ECU relocated to the kick panel.
Rob
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Jason I have a 94 with a 95 system. I think you can tell by where the controls are. Here is a picture of mine. The 94 style a/c controls where up under the dash and seperate from the unit. Thats my understanding. My ecu is shown enclosed in the white qt. of oil container. Protects it from water with the bottom cut out for ventilation
Attached Images

Old August 18th, 2005, 12:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Interesting. On my 94 with the 94 style AC the computer was relocated. It was my understanding it could be left behind the AC but was not supposed to be left there. I am 99% sure mine was a factory install and was in the mid1400s range. As Campell says if the controls are on the lower part it is the 95 style Wynns systems. Divia had a seperate control panel above the dash where a radio goes on a UK spec truck.

I have had both and since neither worked . . . I can't really comment, but when it was charged up the 94 was cold.
Old August 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

It looks like I have the same system as pictured above. Thanks to Rob I should have brackets pretty soon and will just relocate the ECU to the kick panel & then it should mount up. There is no way in the stock location the A/C will clear the ECU with this system.

Thanks for the help guys. Now, hopefully, this A/C won't leak and cause my D90 to spontaneously combust (reading that other thread - I think I'll be picking up an extinguisher, too).
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

OK, I have the brackets (thanks Rob!) but the question becomes -- how do they mount on the kickpanel? What is the orientation? Is there a pic/illustration of this anywhere?

It appears that you just drill some holes in the kickpanel and screw them to the panel with self-tapping screws... but, placement and orientation I'd like to get in the factory location.

Does anyone have a close-up photo of their '94 showing the ECU mounted on that kickpanel in enough detail I could try to replicate what they have?

Thanks....
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
OK, I have the brackets (thanks Rob!) but the question becomes -- how do they mount on the kickpanel? What is the orientation? Is there a pic/illustration of this anywhere?

It appears that you just drill some holes in the kickpanel and screw them to the panel with self-tapping screws... but, placement and orientation I'd like to get in the factory location.

Does anyone have a close-up photo of their '94 showing the ECU mounted on that kickpanel in enough detail I could try to replicate what they have?

Thanks....
I'll try to get you a photo tonite. I just removed the A/C from my 94 this weekend. I hope the pic will help.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:22 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Hey Tony,
That would be great, thanks.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Here's a pic of my kickpanel w/ECU and another of the condenser I had so you can compare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecu.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	3610   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	3611  

Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij

For a 95 style that is not where it is supposed to go.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:35 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
For a 95 style that is not where it is supposed to go.
Ah, well then I guess I can't help. Mine's a '94 with what I assume was a '94 style A/C. I missed the part where it said the A/C unites were different for the two years.
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:14 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yeah I think mine was further to the right, actually mounted to the right side kick wall. I should be able to get a picture in a few days of it if there is anything left down there.

Follow-up Post:

Actually I did catch the location in some pictures I took the other day when snapping off some better pics of the damage. The red circle shows where mine is and it is mounted on the outer side wall behind that little panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	3613  

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags