Installed Momo wheel and hub, now have clicking noise whenever wheel turns - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 29th, 2013, 11:26 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Installed Momo wheel and hub, now have clicking noise whenever wheel turns

I recently installed a momo steering wheel (wanted something smaller) and the #5607 hub. Ever since then, I have a clicking/noise whenever I turn the wheel in either direction. It's not just once, the more I turn it will click/crunch again, and then when it turns back. It sounds like it may be coming from the signal lever. I have taken the hub off, check it out and reinstalled and the noise persists. Thoughts? At this point I'm likely going back to my stock wheel as this is driving me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Check to see if the Momo adapter is touching the plastic surround/fascia. Where the surround comes together is a seam of plastic that may have to be ground down. The tab on the hub does sit inside the little blue ring for the turn signal cancellation, but really shouldn't make any noise. I did have to shorten a tab once because it was too long for the blue ring.
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:26 PM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
I shaved down the plastic surround prior to the original install and it doesn't look like it is touching.... guess I'm going to need to shorten the hub tab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2013, 08:38 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

When I used a RR adapter on my defender - the tab broke off when I tightened it down. But there is a fix for that.
Old September 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Doesn't your mono have a molded turn signal reset ring? If so that may need to be shaved
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
Ended up shaving down the plastic bezel and breaking off the turn signal reset ring. Much better but still some noise when the wheel is turned enough for a u-turn. I've also noticed that my horn and flash high beams no longer work. Checked the fuse which was fine, could the steering wheel have messed up the turn signal/horn/lights switch?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
if I'm reading this right and you broke off the blue turn signal reset ring its a very good change you broke that multi switch which is your horn,turn signals, and dimmer switch. Why would you break that ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM
bradfordish
Bradford
95 D90 SW #141

Registry
I didn't break the blue ring, I broke the tab off the momo hub trying to shorten it. The blue ring does seem to move independently though, is this normal?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
independently ? its supposed to float and just rides on the tab of the steering wheel. If it gets off center the turn signal stalk wont lock into position on the side it falls to which can be annoying. Strange you lost all function from that stalk. Any chance the plug may have come apart ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel