Installation of Milemarker SE 9500 C - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Installation of Milemarker SE 9500 C

Hi,

I have just purchased a MM SE 9500C winch, brand new, to install in my Defender 110.

Due to the lack of available space in the bumper (already prepared to receive a winch) and because I want to move up (away from water) the solenoid box, I am planning on installing the solenoid box somewhere in the engine bay area, probably close to the cabin but inside the engine bay.

I have realised I will have to extend many of the cables and wires that connect between the solenoid box and the winch itself.

My questions are:
a) is there any special precaution I need to take while doing this?

b) Is there a maximum distance to seprate the solenoid box from the winch or as long as I exetend the cables everything will be OK?

I have used a few winches in other vehicles before but I have never installed it mself, it was always there to start with.

Any tips will be useful.

By the way, the winch looks good quality, let's see how it works. I have read it is good quality but slow.

Thanks in advance

Regards
SG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Look up what the maximum amperage draw is at full load, then figure out what gauge of cable you need to eliminate any current loss at the distance you plan on mounting it. You may end up needing heavier cable, you do not want to skimp on this because under-powering a magnetic brush motor is the quickest way to burn it out. As long as the gauge is sufficient to limit loss to within-spec then you can extend it as far as you like...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Thanks ajh,
Gauge of cable means cable thickness or cable diameter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2009, 05:35 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

You will want to consult an electrician before doing this.

Gauge is determined from the weight of a solid sphere of lead that will fit the bore of the firearm, and is expressed as the fraction of a pound (e.g. a 1/12th pound ball fits a 12-gauge bore).

There is some math involved in calculating the losses.

Old July 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Gauge is the thickness of the wire...

Most of the newer solenoids are waterproof now.

I have seen several people install the solenoid behind the headlight and put the winch controller connection next to the headlight. You can also add a secondary switch inside the cab to control the winch too.

Old July 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Oh and make sure to install a power disconnect as well. Either an Anderson connector or 1000A key type disconnect. If you do fuse the winch controls in the ON position you will really appreciate having it. You can also use it to disconnect so you do not get any vandals with a control walking up and doing bad things with the winch.

Old July 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Thanks guys!
I had a power disconnect installed when I had a Warn 8274 in another defender and it was really useful, I will do the same on this installation.

Regarding the gauge of the cables that I will use to connect the remotely installed solenoid box to the winch: if I do an overkill (fitting thicker cales than required) is that negative in any way or the only real problems come if I fit too thin cables?

I will consult an electrician anyways but I would like to know other opinions before.
Old July 30th, 2009, 06:37 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Too big just costs more and is harder to route.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, installation