Install Thread for PS Gear Box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90
Install Thread for PS Gear Box

Has anyone wrote anything up on how to install a Power Steering Gear Box? If so, Where can i find it? I am going to install my new unit tomorrow and was looking for some simple advice and some dos and don'ts. Thanks in advance.

Old June 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
I'm not aware of any, but the on line copies of the repair manual should come in handy if you have any problems.

Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:45 PM
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid
It's pretty straight forward as o2batsea said. It's worth noting the position of the drop arm of your current one when the steering wheel is centered. I believe the steering box itself is "centered" 3 complete rotations from the max right. It can be centered after it is installed, before you hook up the drag link and after you hook up the steering column (simply max it out all the way to the right, then spin the wheel back 3 turns). It can also be done with a pair of pliers before the box is installed.
Hook everything up, then bleed it. Don't open the bleeder more than you need to, or you may experience the full power of a power steering geyser.
Old June 12th, 2012, 06:43 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
No real good install ones, but a good uninstall one from the other day over on ROVERS - at the bottom, and I think the next page:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Put the steering shaft onto the steering column before you bolt on the box with the four big bolts.
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions