inspection problem and OBD2 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11

Art, many of the inexpensive (less than $100) hand held scan tools will now read live data as well as system status (readiness), as well as enable you to just fix the damn thing which is really not that difficult once you can see what is happening (meant to be helpfull, not insulting)

Can you recommend one or two off-hand? I have an older one that doesn't show ready status, obviously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'll have to see what the rig I have for driving with is (the remembery is the first thing to go right?) I just got it so as to not have to drive around with autologic plugged in and floating around the truck. Works well and was $75.00......just can't remember what the fawk it is......and I don't have the webb at the shop so will try to remember to bring info home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
We should have you come and do the voodoo touch on some of the trucks we have to deal with. We get more than just a little tired of driving the damn things around trying to get all the systems "ready".
Only one experience under my belt, I was probably the "beginner's luck"! I'm also sure that the vehicule makes a big difference and newer vehicules will likely take more and more miles to check that all the systems are ok. After all 1996, is just the first year for the OBD-2 systems for Land Rover and I'm sure they only did the minimum to pass the standards.

I bought a cable from those guys many many moons ago: http://www.obd-2.com/ (if memory serves me well: $120 + shipping and probably 7+ years ago). I would say:
- probably top-notch technology
- software does not like to work on newer Windows machines (I checked about 6 months and software was still 16-bit, makes it hard to work around the Windows 32-bit defects to run 16-bit apps..... i.e. you have to reboot before you can use it)
- has worked flawlessly
- software does way too many things for me (I really need to read Rover/extended error codes and clear the codes)
- I was glad it did everything I never needed when the "can't pass emission since the systems are not ready" experience came
- you need to carry a computer with you to use the cable (works at home, not so much if you are traveling)
- Was great in troubleshooting the O2 sensor issue since you can actually run tests/see the measure in realtime, etc.

All in one, I'd buy it again but I'm sure they are cheaper alternatives these days that OBD-2 has been around for so long (read: cheapo handheld device?).

Anyway, good luck with your issue.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well, live and learn...

It seems my scanner already alerts me to not-ready sensors. After reading the manual, the not ready ones blink. I swear I had seen blinking icons previously, and perhaps before inspection times, but never had a problem passing.

So, the question now is: is there a scanner that clears fault codes without affecting the rest of the OBD2 memory?
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM
drchew@mac.com
Dr. John Chiou
97 Defender 90 LE

Wink Any Info on OBD II "MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC CODES"??

I've been trying to get my 97 LE thru inspection in NH for the past 2yrs. . .

After 3 attempted inspections last year (all failed) including a "did you just erase your codes?" incident, I just got tired of it and tried my best stay under the radar of our local 5-0 . . .Well driving 'round a big Mud covered d90 in town didnt help and I Just got pulled over. (crap) I went for inspection and failed again so my 60 day clock is ticking. . . Mine is throwing mostly "Manufacturer Specific" Codes. . .

Does any body have any info on clearing / diagnosing Land rover codes?

Here are the codes my D90 is throwin' (most are freaking "manufacturer specific" ) - P0500, P1179, P1317, P0300, P1317 (had a P0305 but changing the wires elimnated the arching. ..)

Please let me know if you find a solution thru inspection- I'll do the same. . .
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:44 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/landrover/

Search on this website for the issues that come up. It sounds like you have a hard fault on one of the ABS sensors and maybe some other issues too, or not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
inspection