Inspection Items/ Repair ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Inspection Items/ Repair ideas

I bought my D90 a year ago with 70k miles. The PO was the orignal owner and a good guy who took great care of the truck. At the time Iof the purchase had LR Flatirons inspect it. They listed a few items that would need to be addressed. I wanted to get some feedback/thoughts from ya'll on the list and what you think.

It runs great and hasn't had any problems until the tail pipe fell off at the base of Mt. Sherman. I'm a handy gal but I have serious limits with what I can/will do on my truck. I have a great mechanic in Denver but he primarily works on Jeeps. But I trust him and his prices are always resonable.

I did upgrade the oil lines and some rust mitigation. Most of my money has been cosmetic- new top, stereo, load mat. Things to make it look good. Now I need to turn it into a reliable daily driver so I need to address a few things before I add seat heat and AC (a girl has to have her priorities!).

The dealership gave me these items:

1. Engine mount needs to be replaced. In my research the part is cheap but the labor is high. Is there a better time to do this and how important is it really?

2. Brakes- apparently I need to have the pads and rotors replaced. I've put about 1500 miles on the truck and haven't noticed any problems with the stopping/noises/pulsating/grinding/etc. So, my initial response is that the dealer picked this as an item based on age/mileage. But, can I replace pads and not rotors or do I have to do the whole system (assuming the rotors are in good shape).

3. Rear shock mount is loose- going bad. The suspension probably needs to be replaced soon anyway- by soon I am thinking a few thousand miles so can I wait a while on this?

4. Exhaust needs to be repaired. I have a feeling that it is more then just a new tailpipe. I have a muffler place where I am headed in the next few days to resolve this. The muffler isn't attached too well so I figure I should repair this before it gets worse.

I have a clunking noise from below, I am not sure if it is related to the engine mount, shock mount, loose muffler or I fear transmission...

How would ya'll take care of this list and does anyone in Denver have a shop they reccomend? I am looking for someone close to I-25 and Colorado Blvd.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

1. Are they sheered? If not you can go a while longer unless you offroad it. At that age they will probably be bad and should be replaced. Labor should not be too high. I would do both motor mounts and both transmission mounts.

2. If the rotors look clean (not badly scored) and are not too thin you can just do pads. No reason that you could not do pads and rotors yourself.

3. This should be an easy fix. Looking at it will make it apparent what is wrong and what it needs. Probably only need to tighten a nut. Do it now before it gets worse. No reason to think you need a new suspension. At most you would need new shocks.

4. I would recommend buying a borla exhaust if you do not mind some rumble. It replaces the exhaust from the cat y-pipe back. You can also buy a new tailpipe and/or muffler from land rover. Given that you are in Colorado, they should not rust out any time soon. IIRC the exhaust parts are not too expensive. No sense in having someone coble something together when the correct parts are better and not that expensive.

5. When does the clunk occur? Clunk could be anything. One likley suppect is the input gear. Pull the PTO cover and see if the splines are worn on the transmission output/ T-case input and report back. Easy to DIY to look and see if it is bad.
Old October 9th, 2008, 02:07 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Maintenance

Forget the stealer. Take it to Jeff Corwin at JC Rovers. He's a great guy and I trust him.

2331 W. Hampden Ave
Suite 105
Englewood, CO 80110

Phone: 720-227-9118
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
1. Are they sheered? If not you can go a while longer unless you offroad it. At that age they will probably be bad and should be replaced. Labor should not be too high. I would do both motor mounts and both transmission mounts.
I don't believe so. But thanks for the input. I don't really wheel the truck so this can move lower on the list but I like the idea of doing all the mounts at once

Quote:
2. If the rotors look clean (not badly scored) and are not too thin you can just do pads. No reason that you could not do pads and rotors yourself.
I'll have them checked out. I'm scared to do projects like that by myself. I'm sure it makes perfect sense and is straighforward but I'm still chicken.

Quote:
3. This should be an easy fix. Looking at it will make it apparent what is wrong and what it needs. Probably only need to tighten a nut. Do it now before it gets worse. No reason to think you need a new suspension. At most you would need new shocks.
I meant shocks. They are a bit rough. The PO used the truck in the mountains for fire rescue and wheeledit constantly. I'll check out the nuts and bolts and tighten them to see if that helps it last longer. I'd like to get another year out of the shocks if I can

Quote:
4. I would recommend buying a borla exhaust if you do not mind some rumble. It replaces the exhaust from the cat y-pipe back. You can also buy a new tailpipe and/or muffler from land rover. Given that you are in Colorado, they should not rust out any time soon. IIRC the exhaust parts are not too expensive. No sense in having someone coble something together when the correct parts are better and not that expensive.
Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
5. When does the clunk occur? Clunk could be anything. One likley suppect is the input gear. Pull the PTO cover and see if the splines are worn on the transmission output/ T-case input and report back. Easy to DIY to look and see if it is bad.
Shifting grears and going slowly in 1st and 2nd. Sounds like something is loose more then anything. Could something related to the clutch cause this? What is the PTO cover and how do I pull it. Is there a write up about this. I'm not experienced with turning wrenches. Will I need to fill it with anything after I pull it? Falls into the chicken category again.

Thanks,
Alex
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

On five if you search this website you will see a write up. Frankly, what you describe sounds pretty normal for a defender, but if you take it to a rover shop they will check it out for you and tell you one way or the other. My bet would still be on a worn shaft, but it could be a worn diff. Unlikely it is clutch related.
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

X2 with regards to Jeff Corwin at JC's Rover.

I would just swing by his shop and get his opinion on all the aforementioned stuff. He'll provide an expert and honest opinion. Plus, he's way cheaper than any dealer.
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Dave's European. Best stop in Denver for diagnostic/complicated work. I've been using them since 2001 and have never had a problem they couldn't take care of.
8201 E Pacific Pl # 507
Denver, CO 80231
(303) 337-1803
http://daveseuropean.com/
I like Linden Engineering in Golden for work on older/military Rovers.
And JC Rover for great prices/simple work.

Regards,
Art Vigil
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I am sure those other guys are really good too, but just for the sake of clarification:

Jeff Corwin is definitely not just for simple work. He'll do it all, especially the easy routine maintenance the poster referred to. He also owns a bunch of rovers including a d90, and he supports the local club.
Old October 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
I am sure those other guys are really good too, but just for the sake of clarification:

Jeff Corwin is definitely not just for simple work. He'll do it all, especially the easy routine maintenance the poster referred to. He also owns a bunch of rovers including a d90, and he supports the local club.
Oops, sorry I didn't mean to imply that Jeff wasn't a capable mechanic. I've used him once and was very pleased with the work, but at the time JC Rover was a one-man shop and didn't have the super expensive diagnostic machines or lifts that larger shops have.
Sorry for the confusion.

~Art Vigil
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old October 11th, 2008, 11:07 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
Forget the stealer. Take it to Jeff Corwin at JC Rovers.
What he said.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old October 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I went to Dave's European since it isn't far from the house. Here's the verdict:

The rear ball joint is worn our and needs to be replaced and the rear drive shaft joint is broken so the rear drive shaft needs to be replaced.

The front brakes have less then 10% left andther rear brakes are at 80% so that is better news then the stealership said.

The cats are fine so just the muffler and tailpipe.

Otherwise the truck is sound and great. He too said to skip the engine mount since I am not an avid 4 wheeler.

Thanks for the shop referrals.

Alex

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
inspection