Inside Door Panel Reinforceing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2006, 04:49 PM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Inside Door Panel Reinforceing

Does anyone know of or have come up with a way to reinforce the mounting hole of the plastic door panels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

On the panel itself or in the door? You may want to try some small black plastic washers or slightly bigger screws. I took my door pannels off, I think it looks better!
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:17 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
On the panel itself or in the door? You may want to try some small black plastic washers or slightly bigger screws. I took my door pannels off, I think it looks better!
I have my panels off today; I've repainted the top edges of the doors to combat
the rust that was starting to pit the metal. I was thinking about leaving them off but I wouldn't have any speakers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2006, 09:22 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i have thought about this and i was going to try filling the screw holes in the platic panel with a plastic epoxy glue about half way full and have a thin plastic washer on the back side also while glueing.then let that dry for a day or 2 then drill out the hardened glue to the size of the screw.what do you guys think?i will post back after i try this-maybe a month or so.
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The door panels are just vacuum formed plastic that is NLA, isnt it about time we organized a group buy and had some made up? I'm not sure what the number needed to do a reasonably priced run would be, but its not like these are injection molded plastic that needs a tool steel die made up. Lots of platics come pre-textured and can just be formed that way, or the end user could cover them with vinyl. They could even be made of a heavier guage/better quality of plastic.

Does anyone care?
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:04 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

Does anyone care?
Sounds interesting, but I wonder if it would not be easier to just make some sort of cheap reinforcing plastic plate/washer/tab that could be glued over broken screw holes to strengthen them. On my truck, the panels are fine, except for the broken holes. If I was to redesign the door panels, I think I'd include some kind of cupholder but I guess a cupholder would make for more difficult molding...

/
/
/
/
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
I have my panels off today; I've repainted the top edges of the doors to combat
the rust that was starting to pit the metal. I was thinking about leaving them off but I wouldn't have any speakers!
I have not done it, but you can mount some speakers in the dash, or I have seen speakers mounted in a small box and attached to the door.
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

i dont know how ghetto this sounds but i filled my door panels with 'great stuff' expanding foam. it helps to combat road noise, offers a VERY limited amount of winter weather insulation (still havent found a good way to fix the leaky windows), and above all --- it is cheap and easy. i dont know if this is really addressing the issue very well but i thought i would throw that out there. oh - by the way - it takes about two cans a door.
Old January 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

The panels are not cheap, I've taken mine off due to cracking & as for speakers I put them in my headrest, 3" or was it 2.5" speakers, one in each headrest, works great, better than the speakers on the door panels...

But it would be nice to have a stronger door panel !
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

I would definitely be interested in a group buy to replace my deteriorating soft-top door panels. I'd want to retain the speakers. Any material--plastic, chequer plate, even wood--would do. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

I too have been thinking about this. The OEM ones totally suck. I mentioned it some time back cause I was going to RTM them out of Carbon, but no interest from the group at that time. I don't have access to layup stuff anymore, but still do have a hot oil machine for kicking the thermoset resin. I would need to cast them and probably single side them and vacuum bag them. Becuase of the poor condition of mine, and the silly "wood" looking texture, it would take a bit of hand tuning the mold if cast off the originals. I will start looking into it again cause mine are about dead. Making them out of diamond (like 5-bar) would be alot quicker cause time is pretty rare any more. Anyone done this to make it still enable use of door mounted speakers?
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Why not just use diamond plate, cut a hole in it for a speaker and throw on a metal handle? It would be dead easy to make. I'd think one of the vendors could do this in a heartbeat.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
Westiia
Alex West
1969 Series IIA 88" ST

I'm doing this to my series still in plans i'll take picture when its done
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

I've gone ahead and started making chequer-plate replacements for my plastic door panels. Repairing the plastic didn't seem practical, because not only are many of the screw holes busted out, but the plastic itself (especially around the speakers) is cracked. I'm installing a new stereo, which the cracked plastic defeats the benefits of.

I'm using Clarion Marine products all around (CMD4 source unit, APX40M amp, and CM1635 speakers). The speakers in the door have a separate tweeter (rather than the stock coaxial design): http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...912142859.html. The surface-mounts, and the woofer is recessed into the panel.

I'm making the chequer-plate panels completely flat, no bends at all. Cutting them to size (around the latch mechanism and other obstructions) was easy enough. I'm not finished yet, and will post pictures when I am, but here is some of what I've realized:
  1. The contours in the plastic panels are there for a reason. The woofer's depth requires it to be mounted further from the door than the rest of the panel. I've fabricated a stand-off to shift it out about an inch.
  2. The contours also provided rigidity. Mounting the speaker in a flat sheet of aluminum gives you crazy vibrations/resonance at low frequencies. So I'm working on cross-bracing for extra rigidity, foam strips around the panel-to-door and speaker-to-panel interfaces, and a B-Quiet (cheaper Dynamat) lining.

More to come....
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:25 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would be into buying the plastic or carbon fiber ones if someone made them in a group buy.
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

I'd be down with a group buy if they are designed to look like the factory ones.
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:37 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
I'm in for a group buy as well. I will look into a fiberglass shop.
Old April 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

It's funny this thread has come up. I have already put some effort into this and am the process of having the panels priced out. I will keep everyone informed.
Old April 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Great ... just as I've finally bit the bullet and started making my own. That said, I'd be happy to scrap the project and buy into whatever more-professional alternative someone comes up with.
Old April 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
If the group thing happens would it be for SW or ST or both?
BTW Trevor, I am heading out to the Saline Sat-Tue

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door