Input on cooling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 17th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Input on cooling

As some of you local to NoVA know, I've had some fun with my 98 Disco's cooling system. Here's the question: is it better to get a new radiator or simply re-core the old one; fundamentally I'd like to improve the end product vice just replace it.
r-
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't know LR radiators very well, but it depends on the old radiator and how many cores it has. If it's a single or two-core, many times it can be recored to a 4-core with better cooling results. I always recore all my Jeep radiators to 4-core with much better results than crappy import radiators. I would think to get a quality 4-core LR radiator would be pretty pricey versus just re-coring the old one. Make sure you find a quality shop to do the work though!

I spend and average of $250-$350 on re-coring....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Ray, United auto radiator in Newington comes well recommended for recores on Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2008, 09:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It'll cost a lot more than what Jonathan quotes, but a rebuilt one (with added cores) via Pendy will do the job nicely.
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had a v8 Land Rover Radiator recored this past spring and it was $450. Pretty sure the stock radiator is three core.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Cool-
Thanks for the input.

Tony you'll appreciate the hilarity of the sequence of events; last night's heater hose issue meant that a bunch of fresh coolant went into to replace the coolant that had the stop leak (that had in fact, stopped the leak) in it...thus this am my little radiator pin hole leak comes back with a vengence.

It might be time to actually do something about this instead of the band aid approach. I just didn't want to take the truck off the road to do it.
r-
Ray
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Well, if you need to take it off the road to fix the cooling issue, you're welcome to use the 110 . . . ummm . . . errrrr . . . nevermind. what were we saying about a beater?

Tillery used to be able to get a good price on stock radiators. United used to be able to turn them around in a few days (and there's no shipping for that option). I would suggest that you not use BP for your radiator needs desptie their price, though.
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ooh, are you offering your 110 as a loaner to take off road? I'll take it to MAR for ya!
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

On a flatbed, sure! The radiator, intercooler and bracketry is with our friend in Kansas right now.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

Ray - i have my old radiator for my '95 sitting on a shelf in my garage. it has a small hole in it as well. you're welcome to have it if you like and have it recored/rebuilt. this way you can continue driving your truck in the meantime. lemme know.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber

Registry
Robbie, I appreciate that-I might take you up on the offer. Let me get her home and see if the Bars Leak works and gets the band-aid back in place as well as confer with the other side about deconfliction of automobiles and stuff.

Thanks again for the input (to everyone)
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Try Nick Markiw, he sent a radiator company a D-90 one and they recreated it in aluminum. Now they will sell upon order and I think he said they are about 500 for an all aluminum radiator.

markiw@rover-works.com
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
It'll cost a lot more than what Jonathan quotes, but a rebuilt one (with added cores) via Pendy will do the job nicely.
Boy, you guys are going to the wrong radiator shops! It must be because there are literraly hundreds of radiator shops in SoCal. I have had four radiators rebuilt in the San Diego area for less than $300, and even a custom all-aluminum one for my desert racer built for $350. Some of those included shipping! I guess things are more expensive here in DC....

Semper Fi!
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yeah, it is hard to even find a shop to do it in this area. We have sent a few up to Maine with good results and much cheaper than any of the quoted prices. But that is a slow process, things get dropped of and picked up whenever folks are heading up there for a rally etc.

I used these guys to recore the kodiak heater in my 109

http://www.universalcarnegiemanufact...radiators.html

the turnaround was quick. I sent it out thursday, it got there friday, they did the job and sent it out on monday and I had it back in my hot little hands on tuesday. Hell I didn't even need to leave the house. price was reasonable, just over $100. Not bad for the correct sized core and all brandy-spankin' new.

Or, you can try these guys, i didn't use them but I almost did...I think they also do 24 hour turn around:

http://www.farleysradiator.com/

And if you guys knew what haeater cores looked like inside you would stop using "stop leak" products. I've heard that "Bars Leaks" pellets don't clog heater cores but I don't believe it. That shit is for emergencies only.

If anybody ni the DC area has a radiator that is leaking due to phyiscal damage ie. overpressure breaking seams or pinholes caused by contact with foreign objects, bring it over and I'll be happy to practice my soldering technique on it. So far I'm 3 for 3 on those. Damage from corrosion, you are usually screwed since there is no metal left to solder to. FWIW I use regualr household plumbing sodler and a propane torch. I also have a cooling system pressure tester to test your system/cap/find leaks/etc.

later
d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
Boy, you guys are going to the wrong radiator shops! It must be because there are literraly hundreds of radiator shops in SoCal. I have had four radiators rebuilt in the San Diego area for less than $300, and even a custom all-aluminum one for my desert racer built for $350. Some of those included shipping! I guess things are more expensive here in DC....
Old September 18th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There is one place in Pa that makes most of the cores to order for pretty much all of the radiator shops in the mid atlantic. The shops don't make the cores themselves. They sweat the tanks off and call in the dimensions to the core maker. They then just sweat the tanks back on. I shopped 4 different places and they all told me they sourced cores from the same place. They also all said the price of copper and lead was through the roof just like stainless and aluminum in the past year and that is the primary factor driving re-core pricing. How long ago were these $250 re-cores ? I went with the American made re-core over the offshore budget ones offered by RN.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions