Inoperable Radio & Mystery Box - Euro Import 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2010, 01:12 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Inoperable Radio & Mystery Box - Euro Import 90

Hello,

I recently imported an '84 90 with a 300tdi. When I first got it, the radio worked properly. After a few days it would no longer turn on. A few days after that, without doing anything, it again worked properly. Only a day later would not work and hasn't worked since (a few weeks now). I took the radio out and fwiw, it is a Volvo radio and had a look at the wiring. Admittedly, I don't know much in this regard. One red wire, one yellow wire & one green wire were not connected to anything and there appeared to be nothing to attach them to. The red and yellow came from a smaller plug in the back of the radio. The green wire came from a seperate larger plug from the back of the radio. Maybe a loose ground, but where to check?

Additionally, I found this "mystery" box in the dash. I have no idea what it is for. It has a dual wire going to it and a very small toggle swith at one end. I looked inside and it has a AA battery, but the battery housing is broken so I guess would not have any power.

Can anyone provide any helpful information?

Thanks, Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90Radio.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	33238   Click image for larger version

Name:	mysteryBox1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	33239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	mysteryBox2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	33240  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 01:14 PM
kzack
Keith Zack
none

Sorry, should be in Defender Tech section. If someone could move it, would be great.

Thanks, Keith
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Radios are cheap. Get a new one.

Not quite sure what "worked properly" means. Does the radio turn on, respond, etc.? If the radio is on and no sound, you may have subwoofer wires (or other speaker wires) that are not attached to the speaker housing, and "+" may be crossing/hitting "-"...resulting in it shorting out. There's actually a million things it could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

that box could be some sort of noise reducer, the battery might be for the memory in the radio.. I would just get a new one. You really only need a few wires to work for the radio to come on....

1. Ground (black)
2. Power(red)
3. Yellow (ACC switch)
4. Speaker wires.
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

That little box looks like one of those cheap fake car alarm things. with a battery in it to keep it running if you have a cut out switch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, import, radio