Inner hub seal seating depth - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

looking at the pictures, it looks like the wire is facing the bearing and on others it looks like its facing out, which is the right way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Wire facing bearing.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
They are springs and they keep the seal's lips tight against the running surfaces. There should be two of them on this type of seal. Kevin's first picture shows the seal going in the correct way although as stated it needs to go in much further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
looking at the pictures, it looks like the wire is facing the bearing and on others it looks like its facing out, which is the right way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Hey guys,

I am almost done with my first brake job with a lot of help from the search function of this site. new rotors, calipers, and pads and then I need to bleed the brakes.

I do have one question: when I was removing one of the caliper mounting bolts I was shocked to find that it was really loose. I just chocked it up to the fact that maybe the shop I used for my toyota swap did not tighten the bolt to spec. However, when I went to reinstall the caliper with its two bolts, the same bolt in question tightens down flush but then when I go to torque it tight, it "clicks" and then gets loose again. I am guessing that the threads or something in the hub mount are stripped or something. Do I have any options besides a new hub? Do you think it would be possible to buy a tap and try to clean out the threads? Thanks in advance

I was also thinking that I could put a washer or two because it seems that if the threads or broken on the inside of the hub mount, then they are really far in there, and a washer or two might allow the bolt to torque down tight while avoiding the stripped threads altogether. Is that stupid? thanks
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
it sounds like the thread is stripped in the caliper mount. if so, that should be pretty easy to fix with a helicoil or similar thread repair device. in the meantime, compare the two bolts and make sure it isn't the bolt that is stripped.

FYI calipers don't bolt to the hubs. They bolt to the steering knuckle in the front and the axle housing on the rear axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
the same bolt in question tightens down flush but then when I go to torque it tight, it "clicks" and then gets loose again. I am guessing that the threads or something in the hub mount are stripped or something. Do I have any options besides a new hub? Do you think it would be possible to buy a tap and try to clean out the threads? Thanks in advance
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

whoops, you're right: The caliper mount is in fact on the axle housing, not the hub. Do you think that home depot would have helicoil (I dont even know what that is!)

I do not think it is the bolt, but I am going to double check
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
jeff

no, HD won't have it. You'll need to know the size and thread pitch of the bolt and take it to a good auto parts store. Lately I've found advance auto has some. BtW they are metal inserts that replace the threads after you've drilled and tapped a larger threaded hole. You may need to buy a drill bit of the exact size called for by your particular helicoil kit also.

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

Quote:
whoops, you're right: The caliper mount is in fact on the axle housing, not the hub. Do you think that home depot would have helicoil (I dont even know what that is!)

I do not think it is the bolt, but I am going to double check
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't think they will sell the kit to do them. Check to see what size it is and you can prob. get it at a good auto parts store or mcmaster carr
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Lots of blue loctite and check it after a few miles and a few hundred miles.
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

good news! It turned out to be the bolt. Now I need to track down 1 plus probably a spare or two.

However, I ran into another issue. It was not my intention to hijack the hub seal thread rtc3511 but I figure since I am already posting in this thread, might as well continue at it.

I decided to throw on the EE extended stainless steel brake line before I bleed the brakes. I ordered the male one because that is what it looked like my truck has. However, when I took the rear rubber line off, it looks like a male fitting but is shorter than the male fitting on the EE line (see attachment) It is only different on one side of the line, the other side is the same.

Is it ok to use this line and have half the threads sticking out? It appears that I need a male line to go into that brake junction thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	21439   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	21440  

Old September 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
jeff

it wouldn't hurt to clean up the the threads in the questionable hole by using a thread chaser tap or other tap. otherwise the new bolt might get munged up too.

you'll be fine on the flex hose.

Quote:
good news! It turned out to be the bolt. Now I need to track down 1 plus probably a spare or two.

Is it ok to use this line and have half the threads sticking out? It appears that I need a male line to go into that brake junction thing.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Longer is fine.
Old September 12th, 2009, 02:05 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

BTW... I noticed earlier in the thread there was mention of how to seat the seal.

Use the old bearing race (if you have one on hand) to seat the new seal. Tapping around the race works prefect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions