Defender Source Forum banner

Injection pump locking tool kit advice

Tags
advice kit
4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rdavisinva 
#1 ·
I am going to swap in another injection pump on my 300 TDI. I need to buy the locking tool to keep the belt, gear, and timing correct.

I have seen tool kits listed for as little as $30 and as high as $300.

I don't plan to do this often. Does anyone have a recommendation on what kit to buy?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The $30 kit will not include the crankshaft locking tool, just the timing pins. The locking tool is just to make it easier to remove the crank bolt. You can usually get it off with other means.

Reactions: terryjm1
#3 ·
If you mean this kit:
https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNT2029

I have one, and would be more than happy to send it to you to use, and then just return it when you're done. Only caveat is someone has it at the moment, but I will likely see him on Tues and could grab it back actually if you let me know.

Doesn't have the locking "bar" in this kit, but you could prob make one or just order that separate if you feel you need it.

#5 ·
Nathan,

Yes, that is it. I appreciate the offer to borrow but I suspect this could drag on longer than I would be comfortable borrowing it. I am pretty sure the pump on the engine is totally trashed as it sat with veggie oil in it for a couple years. I have a used spare pump I want to try but am concerned I may have to send it off to have refurbished. That would mean leaving the locking tool in place for a while. I wouldn't want to tie it up that long.

For what I am doing I don't think I need the crankshaft tool. The timing belt is new so I have no desire to removed crank pulley. I just don't want to take a chance on the timing belt moving on the gear while the injection pump is out. Sounds like the cheaper tool would be ok.

Thanks again!

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
The kit and price is not the main focus and within $30 a moot point.
Are you capable of doing the IP swap without disassembling the engine because you are using the Kit you ask about?

#9 · (Edited)
if you don't intend to replace the belt (ie recent belt) there is one set of tools to grab the injection pump pulley and hold/lock that stationary under tension while the pump is changed out. If you intend to change the belt at the same time the normal/cheap kit (crank lock and injection pump pin) is all that is required.

#11 ·
Uncle Douglas, yes that is it, indeed.

Robert Davis, yes that is the intent and well is understood and "actionable" on my end. Thanks.

Roverman, I appreciate the always helpful and knowledgeable advice. By the way, did you see all the snow they are getting... looks like HWY 82 is closing.

Thanks to all that replied. I ordered the kit I will need. Looks like a pretty simple and routine operation per the YouTube video which is actually what inspired me to post this question. The kit Paddock Spares sells is close to $300 with shipping and looks very similar to the one sold on eBay for $50 shipping included. Paddock has plenty of of my money already. :) I'd rather spend it on more parts. Thanks for everyone that commented. Your advice led me to the $50 option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.