injection pump? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2015, 07:51 PM
salostuce
levi
1986 defender 90

injection pump?

hey all,
been struggling with my 1986 na 90 for the past few weeks. had an electrical fire which i repaired (semi-temporarily), and when i went to start it up it wouldnt turn over. tried to bleed the system with no luck so i replaced the lift pump since i had one and was planning on it anyway, bled again, no go. thought i had it narrowed down to the fuel shutoff solenoid and read that you can remove the internals to test it but that also didnt work, hooked up an external 12v to the solenoid to ensure it was getting the correct voltage. again, nothing. so i tried to bleed the system about a dozen more times. some things i noticed while doing this: the return line from the injection pump to the filter has very weak pressure but the feed has normal looking pressure, and with the fuel shutoff solenoid energized there is not a drop of fuel coming out the lines from the pump to the injectors. tried hooking up a brake bleeder to the injector lines with the solenoid energized, got a little bit of fuel but nothing of note. i'm leaning towards a gummed up injector pump but really don't want to drop that kind of money without some kind of guidance from somebody a little less inept than me.
Levi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:38 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Was it running fine before the fire?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:40 PM
salostuce
levi
1986 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
Was it running fine before the fire?
it was. started up no issues, no excess smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:58 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by salostuce View Post

it was. started up no issues, no excess smoke.
Describe how you bled system?

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:08 PM
salostuce
levi
1986 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Describe how you bled system?
pumped the lift pump till the line from the tank is clear, attached the line to the filter, bled the filter from the bolt on top, pressurized again, bled the injector pump from the bleed port on top. when i was confident the system was clear i would remove the lines to the injectors, and attempt to clear them. tried it with the lift pump and by cranking but it never seems to make it past the pump. i also did a pretty thorough check of the line for cracks since that put the old man's N/A out of commission for a bit. i did accidentaly overfill the fuel tank at some point in the process so i can see it when i look down with the fuel cap off, not sure if its relevant but who knows.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Levi
You typed this in your first post: "been struggling with my 1986 na 90 for the past few weeks. had an electrical fire which I repaired (semi-temporarily), and when i went to start it up it wouldnt turn over"

1.) Not turning over means the starter is not spinning the engine.
2.) Not starting on spin over means the starter is spinning the engine, but it won't start.

Which is the problem you are having 1 or 2 above?

If number 1 above is the problem you have (as described in post 1), bleeding the fuel will not help.

If number 2 above is your problem, just put a 12V pump between the tank and the lift pump so you pressurize the fuel system.
It is a good idea to install a sedimenter before the 12V pump.
Then the fuel system is self bleeding and air can be ruled out.
If it won't start with a 12V pump pushing fuel giving you a self bleeding system, then you need to look elsewhere to find your problem because the fuel system just got ruled out.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
D90user
steve

So you have fuel at the injection pump.... But when you crank it with no injectors attached you are getting no fuel out the high pressure lines?
That's strange.

Is the injection pump timed and turning?

If so maybe it is gummed up perhaps soaking in some 'diesel 911' for a night?

How bad was this fire? Could it have melted a fuel line and sucked in some rubber?
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Did you open the bleed screw on the injector pump? These things are horrible to bleed.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:29 PM
salostuce
levi
1986 defender 90

okay sorry about the confusion, its number 2. ill give the fuel pump and sedimenter a shot, should be pretty straight forward even for me. saw a thread about it the other day and it made some good points, guess now's as good a time as any. thank God for the chevrolegs.

------ Follow up post added December 3rd, 2015 10:36 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
So you have fuel at the injection pump.... But when you crank it with no injectors attached you are getting no fuel out the high pressure lines?
That's strange.

Is the injection pump timed and turning?

If so maybe it is gummed up perhaps soaking in some 'diesel 911' for a night?

How bad was this fire? Could it have melted a fuel line and sucked in some rubber?
the fire was confined to behind the dash when the headlight switch basically self destructed (learning moment:when you buy a truck check the fuse amperage) and destroyed a lot of the wiring in the bundle to the fuses but everything outside that small area is safe and sound. the truck was running fine prior to sitting for a week or two after the fire so don't see how the timing could be a factor. as far as if its turning i couldn't tell you since i dont know how to check. as far as soaking it would i need to remove it completely or just pull some into its internals with it installed?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:58 PM
D90user
steve

I was thinking just pumping some in and letting it sit but I doubt that its gummed up or plugged just from sitting for a week.

I also doubt you are out of time if it was running fine prior to sitting... and the engine wasn't on fire

As Red said, these are a bitch to bleed. Make sure you are getting lots of fuel through to the bleed screw on the injection pump.... keep pumping diesel through it. It really sounds like you just have air in there, but since it sat and then this started you probably have a leak and its important to find that
Old December 5th, 2015, 02:37 PM
salostuce
levi
1986 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
If number 2 above is your problem, just put a 12V pump between the tank and the lift pump so you pressurize the fuel system.
It is a good idea to install a sedimenter before the 12V pump.
Then the fuel system is self bleeding and air can be ruled out.
If it won't start with a 12V pump pushing fuel giving you a self bleeding system, then you need to look elsewhere to find your problem because the fuel system just got ruled out.
so i wired in the pump in and it didn't seem to make any difference. any ideas on where to look now?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions