Defender Source Forum banner

Info needed on Arb air locker.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  brianbonner 
#1 ·
I have recently been interested in arb air lockers but I don't know much about them so I have a few questions.

1.How much is traction increased on loose surfaces, say mud as I am a flatlander and have no rocks to climb.

2. What are the negatives, does it decrease the life of my drivetrain? Does it hurt road performance because my rover will be used 5 days a weak on a short commute.

3. How difficult are they to install? I have good mechanical knowledge, but I have no experience working on rovers. Or should I get a pro to install?

4. If I do get them should I get just a rear, or front and rear.

Sorry for the stupid questions, If I missed a good thread about this on my search don't hesitate to point me to it and get mad at me. Thanks for the help in advance!:)

#2 ·
1) Diff locks help when the traction between the two wheels on an axle are substantially different. Very little help on mud. Main plus is climbs where the axle articulates.

2) No negatives. When off it is a normal differential.

3) As easy as any diff. There is an instruction on this site.

4) Rear diff locks are all most people need. Most traction is needed when climbing and at that time most weight is on the rear axle. If you get a front, you will need a lot of serious strengthening of the axle components to make it reliable. If you need to ask, you do not need one. :)

You should get aftermarket halfshafts as the stock ones will be easy to break with the locker engaged.

#5 ·
Do you ever have two tires in the mud and one or more with some traction? It would be a great spot to use a locker.

Do you ever drive in snow? It helps there. They help anytime the center difflock is engaged and any of your tires loose traction, if you engage the lockers.

Lockers that you can disengage when you want are ideal for street use. If you ever drive on solid ice they are better than a constant lockup because either or both axles when locked on ice tend to slide you off the road, trail or whatever you are on if there is any camber. They don't decrease the life of your drivetrain at all.

Land Rover axles are on the week side but if you don't have oversize tires and you are easy on the skinny pedal they are not fragile. If you wheel in conditions with lots of traction there is a greater tendency to break an axle.

I had my ARB's installed by a profesional that I trusted, who knows Rovers inside out, and has had a lot of experience with differentials. If you have never setup a diff I would not start with one that has the potential to break far from the highway with and expensive locker in it. I would do the rear first and the front later if cost is an issue.

There are times when a locked axle is a detriment. Like both tires spinning on either axle on an offcamber steep hill. If you have selectable lockers you just switch them off if you need to.

I have ARB's and am very satisfied with them.

Bill Burke's website has some very good info on lockers. Look through the articles there.

Just thought you might want another point of view.

#6 ·
>>I have recently been interested in arb air lockers but I don't know much about them so I have a few >questions.

>1.How much is traction increased on loose surfaces, say mud as I am a flatlander and have no rocks to climb.

They give you true 4 wheel drive. it helps dramatically. currently if one tire slips on the axle all power goes to that tire. When you lock the axles it is like they are welded together with an arb

>>2. What are the negatives, does it decrease the life of my drivetrain? Does it hurt road performance >>because my rover will be used 5 days a weak on a short commute.

No. since on road you run the truck un locked. it is an electric selectable locker. You decide when to lock your axles. NEVER on pavement since one tire cannot turn faster then the other with an ARB. Lockers help distribute the power off road. As long as you don't go around spinning your tires like a mad man. because when they catch snap will go the axle. I have ARBS front and rear and have over 200K on my D90 with the original axles

They also replace the stock LR carrier which is weak. This makes your diffs much stronger.

>>3. How difficult are they to install? I have good mechanical knowledge, but I have no experience working >>on rovers. Or should I get a pro to install?

They are more difficult then non selectablle lockers as there is wiring, a compressor, tubing to run, and holes to be drilled in the diff housing.
If you don't know how to set up a diff, find someone who does know.

this would be the time to decide on gear changes so you can run 33" tires or up without loosing power.

>>>4. If I do get them should I get just a rear, or front and rear.

The rear is most important. but add the front and you will be able to go places that you cannot go with just the rear. If you can afford definetely get front and rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.