info about PTO? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

info about PTO?

can anyone direct me to more info about using the power take off feature of our d-90s? what's behind the PTO plate and how does one hook up to it? is it a keyed shaft and can you run the truck with the plate removed?
thanks
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

George, have a look here. Let me know what you make of it.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Well Capn...you've always got some inside info and its much appreciated...I'm toying with ways to add a battery powered motor to our trucks to add a PHEV capability for additional cheap mileage...I thought to find out what's up with the PTO access...
thanks...that's way more than I've seen anywhere else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkase
Well Capn...you've always got some inside info and its much appreciated...I'm toying with ways to add a battery powered motor to our trucks to add a PHEV capability for additional cheap mileage...I thought to find out what's up with the PTO access...
thanks...that's way more than I've seen anywhere else...
What a delightfully insane idea! Something tells me in the end it won't be cheap. I'm interested to know the cost to benefit ratio - how many miles will you have to drive it before the fuel savings offset the PHEV mods. I'll watch with eager anticipation to see what you come up with.

I've been toying with the idea of doing an electric conversion on my other car, a 1973 VW Thing. The Thing, having so few electrical accessories, and conversion parts being readily accessible, is a good candidate.

[Edit] Now that I've had time to think about it, my first reaction was much to flippant and dismissive. Please elaborate on your idea. Do you intend that the electric motor supplement the gas engine? Substitute at low demand? What? This is an interesting idea.

Electric motor in the driver's side under seat box with a chain drive to a sprocket on the PTO? Or electric motor between the frame rails, with a drive shaft to the PTO? Have to make sure that all the gears in the TC are square cut, not saw cut. Don't want to be driving the car off the sloping side of a saw cut gear. Mind's starting to race. . .
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

Ah...mad you say!!! Mwa-ha-ha-ha!
Yes, the idea is not to make a complete electric conversion. It is a much less expensive and less complicated electric assist for either taking off from a light and/or while at speed in neutral...my thoughts have been that with my commute which is about 30 miles, if I can get 20 miles of battery powered motion I will cut my fuel costs per trip by roughly 60% give or take... been thinking about this for a while. take a look at this idea which is on the verge of being released generally which might be just the way to build this thing...

http://www.poulsenhybrid.com/poulsen.html

and for info and parts try this one

www.electricmotorsport.com

try this fascinating experiment...place d-90 on flat surface...place in neutral, and grab the top of one of the road wheels and push the tire and observe how easy it is to move the whole truck...strikes me that, at speed, it wouldn't take much energy to keep the truck in motion with some electric motor assist. Now, whether that would occur at the PTO or at the wheel some how, or with some sort of "5th" wheel...not sure yet...the poulsen kit looks pretty cool...

Follow-up Post:

also...take a look at this...shows that this is do-able...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...spagenameZWDVW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions