Infant Seat middle seat install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:28 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Infant Seat middle seat install

O.K. just got through installing a center seat from the ROW vehicles for the purpose of my 4 month old being able to ride in the ST 90. If any one is interested I can post a few technical pointers on the topic but I don't want to beat a dead horse. There are a lot of veteran forum members who see a lot of turnover on old topics that get re-hashed but us newer 90 owners so I don't want to waste time on the writting about the topic. If folks have an interest I can post pics and overall talk about the modifications I had to do to make sure the little one is a safe as possible and in the center of the vehicle.
Regards,
Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Center in front?
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Yes as I had previously removed the center wooden box and installed the Iron Goat center dash kit with the houses the radio, auxillary light and fuel tank switches, aux fuel tank guage, clock, cigarette lighter, hazard and heated seat swithces.
I am running the Mud UK seat rails on both the drivers and passengers side. For the center seat, I did some modification to the rear of the seats rails to clear the tub to seatbox threshold. I had to move each of the 2 front seats approximately 1 inch closer to the doors. That wasn't so bad as I just had to drill out the rivet that held the blind nut on the bottom of the seat box in place, drill new holes and re-rivet it them to the seat box. The hardest part was finding a nut locally that I had a tab I could rivet to the bottom of the seat box for the center seat mount. Now he will be rear facing in a car seat that is fastened to the a center seat belt and seat. It is a little cramped but not bad as now we have the little booger in front with us. I am also running safari guard sliders for side impact support. I did have to cut about 2 1/2 inches off of the shifter and tap the shaft in order to shift the R380 but that is probably more dependent on what type of car seat you get. I will at least know what the demensions of the 1 year old + seat should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I would think having him in the front would be too tight. Why not middle of the bench?
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Plus, isn't the front middle the hottest seat in the truck?
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:26 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Clay I have a middle seat too and really like it. My 5, 7, and 8 year old fight over it all the time!!

I didn't have to make any modifications to the driver/passenger seat but I also don't run any special runners, ie OEM rails with the Elite seats. Just bolted it where the cubby used to sit.

I think the attachment of the seats isn't nearly as important as the seat belts themselves. I think the forces are comparatively bigger along the belts versus the seat itself.

What did you use for seatbelts??

I have a nice belt that has an inertia reel that attaches on the floor behind the seat.......creates shoulder belt that goes OVER the seat. You probably don't need the shoulder part yet.

Make sure the seatbelt anchor points are super well supported, ie 2-3" thick washers and in structurally sound areas.

------ Follow up post added July 5th, 2011 06:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Plus, isn't the front middle the hottest seat in the truck?
If you seal the "panel" well under the seat it's almost the same as the other seats. It is still a little warmer in summer time but none of the kids have complained.......they love being up where the action is.

------ Follow up post added July 5th, 2011 06:34 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I would think having him in the front would be too tight. Why not middle of the bench?
It's not so much tight as much as it is a bitch for legroom.

As you know the bench can be a hassle to get to......especially a car seat.

I actually flipped the bench so it's back is against the backs of the front seats. A REAR facing bench is actually the safest seat in the car. Ideally all seats should be facing backwards for safety.
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:20 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post

As you know the bench can be a hassle to get to......especially a car seat.

I actually flipped the bench so it's back is against the backs of the front seats. A REAR facing bench is actually the safest seat in the car. Ideally all seats should be facing backwards for safety.
Hey John - Do you have any pics of this setup?
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:35 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

The first pic is the front middle seat with belt........you can see it's a bit tight on leg room. I even have a fire extinguisher in front of it.

The other pics show the rear bench. The bench is pretty easy to remove without any tools. Has screws with a twist handle that bolts the bench to the floor into the anchors.

You can see it frees up a lot of room. And with the bench folded down you can use the top of the bench too.

I also put tools, tow straps, and my X-jack in between the seats on the floor.

The seat belts are similar to front middle......three point belts with shoulder harness and two anchors to floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lr3.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	40104   Click image for larger version

Name:	lr1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	40105  

Click image for larger version

Name:	lr2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	40106   Click image for larger version

Name:	lr4a.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	40109  

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:19 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

John,
Good suggestions it does appear that your front seats and rear are not factory, or at least not stock to a94. There appears to be 2 different types of center seats. 1 is narrower than the other. I just happen to have the fatter of the 2 so I had to move my seats out. This may be partially due to running the mud u.k seat rails. The seat belt is from the um and for the center seat- lap belt and not a shoulder harness type. I thing I will follow your suggestion and get the three point harness type when he gets older. Also I went with the center seat so he can be accessible rather than the bench seat. I gave up the bench for 2forward facing upright seats in the rear.
Josh as far as heat goes haven't you guys put insulation under the center tunnel to help keep the Bart out? I took mine out of a full size ford van engine compartment cover from the 80s and stuffed it up there
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:32 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Center seat is OEM Land Rover but not NAS.......none of the NAS D90's had center seat.

Rear bench is aftermarket. It sits lower and collapses flat. I have the old bench and have had it in there too.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Yep agree with you on the center seat/console as I bought mine off of ebay U.K. Its nice that your rear seat has the headrest too. What front seats are you running and can you still get to the cubby boxes?
Clay
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Hey John - that looks trick! Nice job. Looks like full size adults could use it too. Where did you get the bench seat btw?
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Hey John - that looks trick! Nice job. Looks like full size adults could use it too. Where did you get the bench seat btw?
http://www.jatdesign.net

Joe is the owner.......a bit quirky but super, super service........he is very much into his job.

This is his email.

info@jatdesign.net
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Very nice. Cost for seat?
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:59 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Very nice. Cost for seat?
I think in the $700 range (pricey).......but that was full leather any color you wanted, ie custom.

They also come in virtually any width you want.
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM
StphNieuw
Stephan
Former owner of a 84 D90 RHD 2.5 NA

I know its a old thread but any feedback on the seat setup? Long term did you like it? It looks like it is easier to get in and out of rather than climbing over the rear bench, or climbing over the front seats.

I like the safety aspect of it as well, during a front impact crash you would be pushed against the seat back with limit next movement.

Would you mind providing further details or taking some pictures on the mounting and seat belts that you used. Based on the pictures it looks like the seat belts have a inertia wheel that bolts to the floor in the middle but I couldn't tell where the other piece was bolted.

Thanks in advance, I thinking of doing a similar setup so I can have my son in the truck with me.
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:14 AM
jt2127
John Thomson
2010 Sport & 2013 LR4

Registry
Bump. Can you still buy these seats or anything like them? The link is down. Would appreciate anyone's guidance.
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:14 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

seat

John,
Are you asking on the bench seat or are you asking about the center seat?
Clay

------ Follow up post added December 31st, 2012 05:15 PM ------

Stephan,
Are you asking about the front center seat or rear bench set up?
Clay
Quote:
Originally Posted by StphNieuw View Post
I know its a old thread but any feedback on the seat setup? Long term did you like it? It looks like it is easier to get in and out of rather than climbing over the rear bench, or climbing over the front seats.

I like the safety aspect of it as well, during a front impact crash you would be pushed against the seat back with limit next movement.

Would you mind providing further details or taking some pictures on the mounting and seat belts that you used. Based on the pictures it looks like the seat belts have a inertia wheel that bolts to the floor in the middle but I couldn't tell where the other piece was bolted.

Thanks in advance, I thinking of doing a similar setup so I can have my son in the truck with me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fan