Inertia - Fuel Cutoff Switch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 4th, 2012, 05:54 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Inertia - Fuel Cutoff Switch

I'm having trouble with the switch in my NAS D110 and Rovers North says it's NLA. Anyone know a source or (more likely) a reasonable replacement? Or do folks just get rid if it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Have you looked into ford? Any 90s ford fuel injected would have one, it is the same, different look and plug so yours would have to modified to use ford plug... Btw it is not defender spscific, any lr has it
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

you can try taking it apart and cleaning the interior. It has a spring-hinged butterfly wing-type plate with a ball bearing. Spray WD-40. If it looks clean and making contact, not likely your I-switch. Connect the two wires going to the switch together (paper clip across contacts) and see if your symptom goes away...if not, the switch is likely good. Disco II, RR classics all have the same switch. I had intermittent problems when going over potholes, etc...reset the I-switch and the 90 ran correctly.

side note: (by previous owner) dealer diagnosed problem as bad fuel pump, after market alarm, bad ECU, all which were replaced under warranty, alarm removed...the dealer was surprised when I clued them in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
61rover
John Crouse

Registry
I was able to pick up a used one (Thanks Will!). I reset mine several times over the last couple of weeks, but reseting no longer works.

I've seen them on several UK parts sites. Will probably pick up a new one or several more used spares.
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM
61rover
John Crouse

Registry
UPDATE: OK, turns out it was not fuel related at all. The ignition switch is bad. Noticed that there was no power to guages at the 'II' (run) position. So it would turn over and fire but once you let go of the key it would return to the run position and die as if it had no gas. Actually had no power. Very deceiving since it would fire every time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, switch