induction system design and mods - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 10th, 2004, 03:28 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

induction system design and mods

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew the logic for the goofy-looking air cleaner design on my '94 D90 (I don't know if later models are the same): the fairly large in diameter air cleaning element is restricted at the inlet down to a small opening by a cone-shaped cap on the air cleaner. This can't be good for airflow.

I could see the logic in putting a cone on the front end of the air filter to reduce the turbulence created by the air slamming into that flat surface, but why restrict the inlet air down to this small hole?

In addition, being at the back of the engine above the exhaust insures that only the hottest air will be taken into the engine.

I was thinking of making a new 'cap' for the air cleaner which is not so restrictive and relocating the intake to another part of the engine compartment to get fresher air. I thought about purchasing some flexible tubing/hose similar in diameter to that of the stuff running from the throttle body.

As for location of the inlet, I had thought about using the grated panel on the wing (often used with a schnorkel) though that will make routing the hose tricky & I'd probably have to rethink alot of things like moving the mass airflow sensor. I don't really need the schnorkel, so I don't think I'll go that route.

Has anyone modified their induction system aside from schnorkel kits? Any pictures to share?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think JOhn Lee at Expedition Exchange did a really cool setup with his Mantec snorkle it really makes things alot more tidy and efficent.. might be worth looking at
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:53 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I saw John's truck last week when I was at his shop, but I didn't look under the hood...might have to check that out. But, his is a '97 - is the induction setup the same as mine stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2004, 08:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
essentially the same on the3.9 and the 4.0

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/D90snorkel/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mod