Indexing steering wheel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 1st, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joe Still
95 D90 NAS 3.9l ST AA Yellow #2719
Indexing steering wheel

I have a 95 D90 94k miles new to me about a year ago. Lots of neglect and heavy-handed mods by PO. This guy would do anything to a wiring harness!!!!

Steering wheel is off center when driving down the road. Usually they straighen that (reclock I call it)when they aline them. HOWEVER I also have a turn switch issue where when lifted for right turn the stalk will not set and turning left it turns off if the wheel is turned maybe 30 deg of rotation. Seems the cancelling cam is way off.

Something tells me the correct process is 1) remove steering wheel and set to work with turn cancelling cam-- then 2) disconnect steering shaft at steering box and roughly reindex to straight (it doens't lkeak so it has likely been changed or at lesast rebuilt) and 3) have alinelment shoip tweak it in the front end.

Anyone been thru this or am I the only one who can't stand going straight with the steering wheel turned 15 deg or so?

Old October 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New
Adjust the drag link that attaches at the pitman arm on one end and attaches to the tie rod on the opposite end.. Loosen the clamps on each end of the drag link. You may have to use a pipe wrench in order to adjust the pitman arm. I forget which direction lengthens the drag link or shortens it, but turn the drag link in small increments and check your steering wheel each time you turn it. When you get it adjusted correctly, you will find it will track much better on the road. Hope this helps.

Old October 1st, 2011, 07:29 PM
barry f
94 ST #395
For the switch issue, you need to remove the wheel, remove the switch a set it properly. There is a tab that has to face I think left when you slide the switch over the steering column. Going from memory so it would be best to search turn signal to get the correct setting. Many of us have had the issue when we installed the switch.
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid
Is your steering box straight? If you are going through the effort to adjust this stuff you may as well start there. To straighten the steering box, I believe you pull off the drag link and steer the wheel all the way to the right. Once there, you do two rotations to the left and the steering box should be straight. Then you want to adjust the drag link, then the steering wheel.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Doubt there's a problem with your self cancelling cam. Slots in the cam interface with tabs on the steering wheel itself. There's only two ways it can work - each are 180 degrees from each other. If the steering wheel isn't on straight the self cancelling cam won't work right at all. It assumes the wheel is perfectly straight when heading straight down the road.

Btw the self cancelling cam is part of the turn signal switch. Don't disassemble the switch to get at the cam. Just rotate the cam by hand and you'll see how simple the mechanism is.
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:25 AM
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top
I have a 94 D90 that was used as intended but put away wet. Slightly more crooked than 15 degrees ended being a replacement of the front tie rods, with only 72k mi on the truck. The rear tie rod was bent as well and required a full replacement.

You may want to have someone take a look to see it's more than a crooked wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions