Independant repair shop in or near Greensboro, NC?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 16th, 2008, 09:26 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Independant repair shop in or near Greensboro, NC??

Hey guys. I'm in the process of purchasing a d-90 in the next few weeks and am trying to get all of my ducks in a row for the purchase. Any local independant repair shops around the piedmont area of NC that you would suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2008, 10:01 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

there is Rover Club House (RCH)off of 70 in Durham
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I would try Discovery Automotive in Raleigh or Flying Circus, maybe even the Dealership.
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Thanks for the info. I will most likely try the local Rover Dealership in G-boro but would also like another option if needed.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I think there was some drama with Rover Club House and some of its owners/employees, and I believe that they may have split into two(?) shops. I recently got a card in the mail from "Rover Automotive" which I believe may be the new shop that split off from RCH. Whatever the case the address of Rover Automotive is 1601-B1 E. Greer St., Durham, NC 919-237-3609. Here, I found their website: www.roverautomotive.com

I think RCH is still around but I'm not positive. I used to use them for all my rover fixes, but have been doing as much as I can on my own lately. That said, they always did a good job.

RCH used to have a great mechanic named Luke. There was some falling out between Luke and RCH and he left. Last I heard he went to Shop around Winston Salem. I realize it's a long shot, but if you could find that shop I totally recommend Luke.

I've had some bad experiences with the Cary Dealership in the past. I did however hear that they are now under new management so maybe they are better now??? I'm sure that they still charge way too much though.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Thanks Mike! Great info to have.
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:19 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

The guy who owned my 90 before me lived in Greensboro and used Flying Circus in Raleigh. He had a few 90s and spoke highly of them.
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Hey Taylor, you're not in Cary by chance are you? I ask because I've seen an "older" red hummer around... i guess it's a long shot but figured I'd ask.
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Flying Circus has been around a long time- usually a good sign, though I have never used them. They do support local events. Larry Harrell started Rover Automotive last fall after leaving RCH, and Luke is working at Rover Automotive as well. They have done a ton of stuff for me the last 6 months on various Rovers- well pleased, just gotta be patient some times...
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:56 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Hey Dale, that's great info! I wasn't sure what the deal was with everything. As I recall Larry gave me a call a few months back to let me know about the new shop, but I just heard his voice mail. I'll definitely give them a visit next time I need some work done that's over my head or that I just don't want to do myself.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike
Hey Taylor, you're not in Cary by chance are you? I ask because I've seen an "older" red hummer around... i guess it's a long shot but figured I'd ask.
Sorry, not me. I am in the Greensboro/High Point area. I had a H1 wagon for a couple of years that I sold a while back however. I guess I need to revise my screen!
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I wouldnt let Larry Harrel put fuel in my Land Rover
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I wouldnt let Larry Harrel put fuel in my Land Rover
What work specifically performed by Larry were you dissatisfied with?
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
A lot of people have good things to say about him and good experiences. I have not. I am also probally not the easiest customer to deal with. This being said, clutch and some aux light wiring. He really dropped the ball on a clutch job, I am still fixing what he messed up nearly a year ago. My light wiring looked like a fire waiting to happen. He seems like a pretty nice guy but I wont let him work on my vehicle again. I didnt know what went on with my clutch while at RCH but it was during the time there was some dissagreement there so this may have something to do with it. FWIW....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions