In over my head or good decision? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

Thank you all for your opinions and guidance. I'm excited to report that we have a handshake (email handshake anyway) deal. My buddy has been working on diesel engines his whole life and my neighbor who owns a machine shop is building a home garage/workshop as we speak and would help me with anything I might need. I'm throwing caution to the wind and will post it up when I get it home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2013, 12:00 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sounds like the same decision we all made. And we are happy, if not a little lighter in the wallet, for it. Hope the deal all works out and welcome aboard.
Old December 21st, 2013, 12:11 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Congratulations Ken!

I keep an envelope with some cash squirreled away. The envelope has Defender written on it. When I have to go to the envelope, it doesn't seem to hurt as much....

When my kids were little, they loved our 1st Defender like it was a family dog. We have had a Jeep CJ and a FJ40 since as our fun 'garage car', but it was not the same as the Land Rover. Just picked up another Defender and the kids, who are college age now, are literally acting like six year olds on Christmas. Your Land Rover will become part of the fabric of your life and that is truly priceless!

Get the kids to wrench on it with you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2013, 01:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
What a great Christmas! Get some pictures up when you can welcome aboard.
Old December 21st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I don't think anyone is trying to dissuade you from buying...we all love our LR's. It's just if we all had a realistic approach in governing ourselves we would put the money elsewhere. There (as you can tell) is alot of passion on this board and everyone shares. Welcome to the madness of the LR passion.
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

If the drivetrain and frame is good, you're probably good to go. About the only thing left are brakes and steering. The rear wheel cylinders are not expensive and you can use much cheaper Discovery disc brakes in the front if need be (although the factory ones on mine still were fine). The biggest improvement in handling and driving for me was when I replaced the tie rod ends and the front and rear wheel seals (including the swivel ball seals). Doing this means re-torquing the wheel bearings and a couple of other things - it makes a world of difference and doesn't cost much or require any tools you can't locally buy.

The electric gremlins can be a bit annoying, usually bad grounds. Nothing that you can't track down with a cheap multimeter. Since the one you're looking at hasn't been upgraded, you shouldn't have to worry about shoddy harness splicing.
Old December 21st, 2013, 05:52 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by klawler9 View Post
Thank you all for your opinions and guidance. I'm excited to report that we have a handshake (email handshake anyway) deal. My buddy has been working on diesel engines his whole life and my neighbor who owns a machine shop is building a home garage/workshop as we speak and would help me with anything I might need. I'm throwing caution to the wind and will post it up when I get it home.
Welcome to the club.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions