In over my head or good decision? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 18th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Jason, the key is to be quick with the "I really just bought a Defender" line. Timing is everything on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Ken, you have gotten some awsome advice from some EXTREMELY knowledgable Land Rover enthusiasts. It all comes down to your disposable income. Because you WILL dispose some income on a Defender. Even if it runs like a champ and never gives you a problem (doubtful) you will still dump a shit ton of money into it.

But if you gotta have one, you are gonna need to sell it to the wife (trust me on this one). So how you do this is, you tell her you are addicted to Meth and you have a love child with a stripper who is a crack whore. And as the tears well up in her eyes, you tell her "no Honey I'm only joking, I really just bought a Defender"

And even though owning a Defender is gonna cost more than having a love child with a crack whore while you are on meth, she will still be cool with it and thank God every day your only vice is a stupid English truck.

If you need any other marital advice just pm me.
The voice of experience always rings true! Good stuff!
Old December 18th, 2013, 11:35 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Hey Ken I recently bought an ex-mod '86 110 2.5na in good shape and it was my first. I'm pretty new to this whole community but really liked the truck for several reasons so I pulled the trigger and bought it. I've felt over my head a lot of times but not in price (parts are usually pretty reasonable) but from having to do different types of repairs myself. I work on it a lot or deal with things not working but it being drivable. That being said, I didn't know much about mechanics before I got it and its been a good car to learn on. This forum, manuals, and youtube really provide almost all you need. The only consistent downside I've found is my electrical system appears to be possessed but it still drives fine (always assume the ground is bad). If you have other cars to rely on and don't mind doing your own work I'd say go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Is this the white 3 door that has been for sale on craigslist?
I think it is. Somebody linked to it on this forum. I looked at it and drove it yesterday. We looked under at the frame and it seemed to be in very good shape to me. There is a forum member here that contacted me that will go and give an overall assessment of the truck for $325. I think I am going to take him up on it. Seems like a wise choice.

As for the marital advice I like they way you guys think. Fortunately my wife really likes the idea so I'll have to use the crack whore meth addiction trick another time
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawler9 View Post
I think it is. Somebody linked to it on this forum. I looked at it and drove it yesterday. We looked under at the frame and it seemed to be in very good shape to me. There is a forum member here that contacted me that will go and give an overall assessment of the truck for $325. I think I am going to take him up on it. Seems like a wise choice.

As for the marital advice I like they way you guys think. Fortunately my wife really likes the idea so I'll have to use the crack whore meth addiction trick another time
A forum member from here? is charging you to do an inspection? really!! never heard of such a thing!!!!!!!

**Revision** I understand that many do LR for a living and do not apply this to them personally....I also know that many LR professionals perform a lot of Pro Bono stuff! Just sayin...
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Ken, couple comments Even if you find a good mechanic, you MUST learn to do things yourself and school yourself on the system so that at a minimum you can understand the system to do fault diagnosis. Parked in the sand on the beach with high tide rolling in and not understanding why it won't go in gear is a recipe for disaster. The Land Rover workshop manuals are excellent, free to download, and are dead simple to understand. This truck was designed to be worked on under a shade tree.

Also, my personal opinion not shared by everyone is that despite my love of these vehicles, I would not transport my family in one without a roll bar. It's all fun and games until you have a rollover (your fault or someone elses) and your family is crushed. Safety is the first priority in my book, above all other things.

And lastly, I'm not sure how old your kids are, but you will be challenged to have 4 forward facing seats in a Defender, along with your wife. When you add in booster or infant car seats, you will have to modify to have that. This is an example of where that incremental cost not related to maintenance starts creeping in. I have modified my 110 so that I can have 4 forward facing car seats to include a 3rd row forward facing bench and I can share tips if you go that route. There is however bolt in solutions from Exmoor that are safe and fantastic, but you could be looking at $5k-$10k to do seat upgrades alone. I think around $3k to add 3rd row folding forward facing seats is a start. Again, not sure what you have, but assuming if it's ex mod, then you have long inward facing benches. Those look like fun on the beach, but they are not safe for kids on the road at all.

------ Follow up post added December 19th, 2013 07:56 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
A forum member from here? is charging you to do an inspection? really!! never heard of such a thing!!!!!!!
I did an inspection for a forum member I had never met once here in charlotte for nothing more than the simple pleasure of seeing another Defender. That said, there are many professional independent Land Rover mechanics on this board that can do professional grade inspections.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:05 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post

No kidding... I'd like to know who.

Unless it's a Indy Rover shop. That will make sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 19th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Think you should get to know this guy. junkyddog11 here (think I got that right)

Matt Browne
Overland Engineering
406 Dow Hwy unit 20
Eliot, Maine 03903
207 450 2187

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Ken, one more factor for your decision: time.

As many have stated, these vehicles are somewhat needy but easy to learn and maintain for a willing DIY'er, and the vintage LR community is generally great for advice, assistance and generosity...I've experienced a lot of 'pay it forward' in my relatively few years of ownership.

You have kids and if you are looking at niche vehicle as a toy, you probably have some sort of career, you'll probably find that finding the time to maintain the vehicle will be one of if not the biggest challenges with ownership. Diagnosing problems, researching parts, etc. all take time in addition to the actual repairs and maintenance. Be prepared. That said, once 'set up' (and that can be time and $ consuming) I have found my vehicles to be pretty reliable for what they are.

If this is an import, the Mass RMV can be entertaining to deal with. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

w
..tolerant Wife...
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:43 AM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
No kidding... I'd like to know who.

Unless it's a Indy Rover shop. That will make sense.
His offer is more than just looking at it. He will do a detailed report with photos etc. Given my newbie status to LR I thought it seemed more than fair. I believe he has a shop of some sort. I'm not comfortable sharing his name in case I've crossed some boundary here with him and the forum. I personally do not mind being solicited on these forums. I belong to several boating forums (yes I own boats so I understand the hole in the water you throw money into thing although that has not personally been my experience because I use the shit out of my boats) and this is common practice.

------ Follow up post added December 19th, 2013 08:45 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
Ken, one more factor for your decision: time.

As many have stated, these vehicles are somewhat needy but easy to learn and maintain for a willing DIY'er, and the vintage LR community is generally great for advice, assistance and generosity...I've experienced a lot of 'pay it forward' in my relatively few years of ownership.

You have kids and if you are looking at niche vehicle as a toy, you probably have some sort of career, you'll probably find that finding the time to maintain the vehicle will be one of if not the biggest challenges with ownership. Diagnosing problems, researching parts, etc. all take time in addition to the actual repairs and maintenance. Be prepared. That said, once 'set up' (and that can be time and $ consuming) I have found my vehicles to be pretty reliable for what they are.

If this is an import, the Mass RMV can be entertaining to deal with. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

w
Actually the Mass RMV is my next question. This state is a nightmare and I have to make sure it's registerable. I think it is given it is 25 years old but the inspection etc may get complicated.
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:51 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:

His offer is more than just looking at it. He will do a detailed report with photos etc. Given my newbie status to LR I thought it seemed more than fair. I believe he has a shop of some sort. I'm not comfortable sharing his name in case I've crossed some boundary here with him and the forum. I personally do not mind being solicited on these forums. I belong to several boating forums (yes I own boats so I understand the hole in the water you throw money into thing although that has not personally been my experience because I use the shit out of my boats) and this is common practice.

------ Follow up post added December 19th, 2013 08:45 AM ------

Actually the Mass RMV is my next question. This state is a nightmare and I have to make sure it's registerable. I think it is given it is 25 years old but the inspection etc may get complicated.
We were a bit shocked when you said "...a Forum member..."

As I've said before... if it's a shop... that's a different story.

Anywhoo... hope you find your D and welcome to the club.

Old December 19th, 2013, 08:59 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The next issue is that you can't have just one Rover... Next your wife will want a Range Rover, your oldest son will want a Disco and etc...

Welcome to the addiction!

Old December 19th, 2013, 09:13 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Considering you already own a Bust Out Another Thousand, you are well primed for Defender ownership. As others have said, these are easy to troubleshoot and work on. Pull the trigger and enjoy it on weekends with your family. 2x on installing a roll bar or cage.
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
The next issue is that you can't have just one Rover... Next your wife will want a Range Rover, your oldest son will want a Disco and etc...

Welcome to the addiction!
X2...
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:35 AM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Quote:
... I guess what I am really asking is, what is it like to own something like this?

Any advice is appreciated ...
Seems I'm late in this discussion. Have you been turned off yet? Pity if you have and I wouldn't be surprised if you were, judging by some of those comments. WOW.

I bought a non-running 1986 ex-military 90 with a 2.5 na diesel. Soft top. Stock, just the way it came out of the military except it had power steering installed. About 60,000 miles on it (100,000 kilometres).It cost about a hundred dollars to get it going. Then the alternator quit. Broken mounting tab, fixed for free by a friend with a small aluminum weld. A bolt came undone inside the transfer case, I got home, diagnosed problem, disassembled T case and put it back together (no cost). A vibration turned out to be a problem with the rear diff., replaced with a diff out of a scrap Land Rover ($100 for a shop to set up the gears). Fixed air leak in fuel system (tightened fittings, no cost) I now have a leak in the output seal on the transfer case. I also now have 142,000 kilometres on her (over 25,000 miles since I bought her). My largest expense was to install a couple high-back Exmore Trim seats ($750). So, three years driving, 25,000+ miles, and about a thousand dollars for repairs. Plus regular things like oil, fuel and filters. She is now coming due for a timing belt change, all the parts cost about $150. I'll do it when it gets a bit warmer. Daily driver and I DO off road her.

Not sure why you need to earn $150,000 or why you would budget $20,000 a year either. I guess if you were going to send it out for a top rate paint job, new TDi engine, Lockers, Skid plates everywhere, Exo cage, mega spotlights, a stereo better than in your house, a selection of new roofs... Yah. I guess I might be able to understand the comments, but get real! It doesn't cost that kind of money for what you're talking about unless you are going to convert it to something it presently isn't.

What is it like to own? The drive is loud, I often wear ear plugs if I'm on a long drive. Laugh at the water that drips through the doors! Acceleration doesn't exist, instead you slowly easy the speed up to as high as 60 mph; 50 is relatively easy to attain, 60 takes quiet a bit more time and distance to get there. Handling is good, ride is a bit rough but I've been in worse (my Ford F350). Off road, it is hard to beat and the ride off-road can be described as "smooth" in comparison to other makes. You can't get a better feeling in any other vehicle in the summer time than rolling up the side curtains, removing the door tops and turning it into a "Surrey Rig". You can also roll back just the roof over the front seats, kind of like a big sun roof.

Go ahead, budget $20,000 a year and put in new motor and gearbox, new doors with central locking and power windows (available) Full roll cages and roof top tents. Portal axles and air lockers, expedition storage and a full toilet facility.

Or just go with it and enjoy what you're buying. Bet you get more positive comments from the public with it looking like it just came out of the military than if you "upgrade" it.
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:30 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Seems I'm late in this discussion. Have you been turned off yet? Pity if you have and I wouldn't be surprised if you were, judging by some of those comments. WOW.

I bought a non-running 1986 ex-military 90 with a 2.5 na diesel. Soft top. Stock, just the way it came out of the military except it had power steering installed. About 60,000 miles on it (100,000 kilometres).It cost about a hundred dollars to get it going. Then the alternator quit. Broken mounting tab, fixed for free by a friend with a small aluminum weld. A bolt came undone inside the transfer case, I got home, diagnosed problem, disassembled T case and put it back together (no cost). A vibration turned out to be a problem with the rear diff., replaced with a diff out of a scrap Land Rover ($100 for a shop to set up the gears). Fixed air leak in fuel system (tightened fittings, no cost) I now have a leak in the output seal on the transfer case. I also now have 142,000 kilometres on her (over 25,000 miles since I bought her). My largest expense was to install a couple high-back Exmore Trim seats ($750). So, three years driving, 25,000+ miles, and about a thousand dollars for repairs. Plus regular things like oil, fuel and filters. She is now coming due for a timing belt change, all the parts cost about $150. I'll do it when it gets a bit warmer. Daily driver and I DO off road her.

Not sure why you need to earn $150,000 or why you would budget $20,000 a year either. I guess if you were going to send it out for a top rate paint job, new TDi engine, Lockers, Skid plates everywhere, Exo cage, mega spotlights, a stereo better than in your house, a selection of new roofs... Yah. I guess I might be able to understand the comments, but get real! It doesn't cost that kind of money for what you're talking about unless you are going to convert it to something it presently isn't.

What is it like to own? The drive is loud, I often wear ear plugs if I'm on a long drive. Laugh at the water that drips through the doors! Acceleration doesn't exist, instead you slowly easy the speed up to as high as 60 mph; 50 is relatively easy to attain, 60 takes quiet a bit more time and distance to get there. Handling is good, ride is a bit rough but I've been in worse (my Ford F350). Off road, it is hard to beat and the ride off-road can be described as "smooth" in comparison to other makes. You can't get a better feeling in any other vehicle in the summer time than rolling up the side curtains, removing the door tops and turning it into a "Surrey Rig". You can also roll back just the roof over the front seats, kind of like a big sun roof.

Go ahead, budget $20,000 a year and put in new motor and gearbox, new doors with central locking and power windows (available) Full roll cages and roof top tents. Portal axles and air lockers, expedition storage and a full toilet facility.

Or just go with it and enjoy what you're buying. Bet you get more positive comments from the public with it looking like it just came out of the military than if you "upgrade" it.
Great comments! I couldn't agree more.
<slow clap>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	url-1.gif
Views:	25
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	86481  

Old December 21st, 2013, 05:49 AM
klawler9
Ken Lawler
none (yet)

Well im not exactly turned off but i am still concerned about being in over my head. Thanks for the comments Greg S.
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:02 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Remember owning a Land Rover is all about disposable income....at any point in time you have to be able to drop a grand or two and not worry. Weather you stash that away, save it, or are liquid enough - no matter how much you or da wife make...that is all you need to know.
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:38 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the question has been asked by several and never answered-what is your level of mechanical ability ?

While I disagree with most of these maint statements etc from the
"experts" it remains true that like all vehicles 2.5 decades old some work will be required. My personal experience is that rovers need to be driven and as long as you use them regularly they are quite reliable and in my experience low maint. That said each model and drive train have their foibles.

on a 2.5 I would find out when the timing belt was last changed or plan on changing it and the water pump and front seal right away. this is normal maint on any engine with a timing belt. Foibles for your particular setup would be that military lt77 and injector pump leaks. If those check out I'd say go for it.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 21st, 2013, 10:11 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Just like any similar type 4x4 that is old like a Jeep, Bronco, Scout it will need stuff done to it having owned all of the above I would say the Defender needs slightly more TLC and the parts are going to cost you a bit more money and sometimes you will have to wait a little bit on parts.

If you are going to leave it as is and just enjoy it while taking care of the things that need done or break I think you will find that it is not as bad as people are saying they are rough tough truck that take a beating and keep rolling.

However if you are the type of person that cannot leave anything alone and get caught by the upgrade bug then you can put an insane amount of money into them. Nothing wrong with that... I am that type of person you just need to understand going into it.

One last thing Defenders hold their value pretty well, if you make a smart purchase it is hard to lose much money if you later decide you do not like it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions