Improving load security - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Improving load security

The question is to secure the contents of my Sation Wagon loaded with tools or other goodies when parked in in-secure locations. I upgraded my truck for location / remote location use purposes for filming. Being out in the middle of nowhere is one thing, but having to park in urban areas is another. Working out of NY, I have had my 110 windows smashed out and all tools stolen, the D90 rear window smashed out and tools stolen again, then I had some bonehead
jump on the D90 hood at three in the morning and kicked out my windshield and damaged the hood ($1,500 repairs), and also had another bonehead throw a cinderblock at me from a bridge, which missed the windshield but went under the truck's front end and damaged the tie rod and draglink, (almost lost control at speed), so I know what I am talking about.
I am looking to secure the contents of the truck, as do expedition vehicles in third world countries.

I already have the tuffy console which is great. Thinking of the overhead tuffy CB/Radio console, but have not seen a Defender with that outfit.
I know that Mantec makes the side window grill guards, and I think I can source the rear window grill guard, but I have not seen a guard for the front ie: behind the seat divider for an NAS D90. I figure the problem is the roll bar in lieu of the standard euro box wall behind the seats. I have been looking for a while for a solution with no clear easy way to do it.

Any ideas?

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Scorpion sells a Dog Guard for D90s but that's not what you are looking for, right?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The best protection is to not leave anything visible. That means building a box in the rear to stuff things in. If you just dump your stuff in the rear where everyone can see it it will only tempt thieves - especially if they see all the grill guards, they'll just think there's something really expensive in the truck. A good pair of cable cutters will make short work of those grill guards.

Bottom line - do you want to risk losing your gear as well as more damage to your truck? At least save the truck - get a car with a large trunk and keep your toys out of sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Yes the dog guard was what I was looking for for the NAS.

Well camera gear (especially film) comes in many large boxes, not easy to hide. Usually I would get a PA (asst.)
to stay by the trucks/vans/whatever. But windows of vans and trucks have been smashed when the Pas turn their backs for a minute.

Cars with trunks not an option. Especially when accessing remote or construction zones. So I figure the wire is at least a little bit of a deterrent ?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I hate to say this, Marc, but it's time for a van.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
You..you..mean like a d90 van right?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Black out the windows with super dark tint.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Wink

Marc;

There is a guy on this site that makes great storage boxes for the rear of the Defender's. I hear he can even install locks to match your current Tuffy console so one key works all your storage compartments. I think they come in two sizes. 19" long and 32" longs. I'll have to take a look under "Custom Mods" / Toolboxes for Defender and Series" and try to figure out that fellas name.

I think there is a current thread under Misc Chit Chat too.

If I could only recall his name....

Troy

BTW - I will get you those photos this weekend!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Before you tint check the state law as to degree of tint. I had a Honda once and the PO put that aftermarket crap tint all around. Well. one year it passed inspection and the next it didn't - the tint was too dark!

What's stupid is that I've seen plenty of other vehicles since with darker tint and somehow they're all passing inspection?!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I would chain a very large, mean and hungry German Shepard or Pitt Bull inside.

Seriously, I would go with some sort of Van for the city work. Keep your Defenders for outside the city work. Whenever I bring my truck out…it gets a lot attention. So, when you add a lot of tools and equipment, someone will probably get greedy.

Could you put an alarm with an air horn, that should draw a little more attention.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Custom storage boxes might be cool, I was also looking at that storage drawer that fits the rear floor. But seating would prob. have tgo be removed, or pass. would sit like a grasshopper.. Hey Troy! looking forward to the pics!.

A pitbull would be more in line with how I felt everytime the Rovers got broken into..

Tinting / or drw shades might be an idea. Alarms might help a bit, if on the set. Otherwise in NY they are useless.

Now you guys have me thinking.. how about a modified 101 with storage camper back, 4.6L ?? (always wanted one of those) but in NY they will probably think I am out of my mind..
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Storage

Here is the set up on my rig. Only the top part locks for now but will be all lockable eventualy. I bought them with the truck but my guess is that they were custom made.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior8.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	5919  
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Interesting set up. Do you have any profile pics? would love to see the truck's custom fab rack & bed.
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Sounds like your location security is inadequate.

Follow-up Post:

Perhaps you could tow a small trailer with all the gear inside, leaving your D90 empty and offering no temptation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	5920  
Old June 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
An off road trailer might be a viable solution, and an interesting one. Thoughts: Maneuvrability would be key in an urban environment, parking on set is no prob. since we permit all parking, non set parking would be open parking lots only,
quick disconnect would be a must, security would be simple, (although one would have to get wheel lock socks so the whole trailer doesn't get stolen if disconnected) Wasen't there a new off roader trailer for under 3k? does anyone have experience with these?
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

A few more pics ...

Here is a better view open and closed.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0024.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	5921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0025.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	5922  

Old June 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Very sweet equipment cases. Do you know who made them?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecu, vin