Importing with new engine in a 1983 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Stork17
Robert Blanchard
1983 110 (soon)

Smile Importing with new engine in a 1983

Bare with me on this one... Lets say I buy a 1983 110 and its a V8 (In the UK)... Now as anyone knows, most of us want a 200tdi or 300tdi to be placed in the truck. I have heard that this is illegal to do (EPA) but my state, Florida, does not have testing. So is it still illegal for me to import the truck with a 200tdi/300tdi into a state that does not require EPA testing?
Idea # 2... I also have an SIIA (original Diesel) that is in need of a new engine... Can I remove the engine of the 110 in the UK put in the old 2.25 Diesel (reconditioned unit) in its place and import it in with that old engine? That engine was legal in the states up until 72 when Land Rover no longer imported into the US.
Now why would I do this, Well first I would also be importing a 200tdi in a crate, and since the 110 has now been set up for a diesel (the 2.25) all I have to do is take out the old 2.25 and replace it with the 200tdi, should be pretty much a bolt on job with a few extra things like intercooler and such. And the new Diesel 2.25 goes into my old SIIA thus killing two birds with one stone.
Again the big question is if it is legal to import the 110 with the old 2.25 for idea #2.
Just wondering if anyone out there knew some answers, Now If it is legal to import the 110 with a 200tdi into Florida then please let me know!
Thanks for looking,
Stork17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the fast simple answer is that your states emission test and the EPA law have nothing to do with each other. The EPA law is that a vehicle is "exempt" for importation purposes if it is 21 yrs old and has its original engine.

PM me off the forum. This falls in the "whats legal" that is covered in great deatil @ the top of the vehicles for sale forum.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

From the EPA:

"If the vehicle is at least 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements upon importation. The age of the vehicle is determined by subtracting the calendar year of manufacture from the calendar year of importation. If the calendar year of manufacture is unavailable, the importer may substitute the model year or year of first registration. For instance, to qualify in 2001, the vehicle must have been manufactured in 1980 or earlier. The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for thisexemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines.

No approval or Customs bond is required by EPA. The importer must also prove to Customs, as required, that the vehicle or engine was manufactured prior to EPA regulation. Documents such as a title, or letter from the original manufacturer may be used for this purpose.The importer must file with Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1 and declare code "E" on that form."

Lots of people are importing with newer engines in though, Doug and others are doing this often. There is a risk, but if all your paperwork has all the right numbers on it (as in your V5 has the correct engine # on it) and such then it all depends on how picky Customs want to be on the day your truck comes in. It could be a paperwork only "stamp" and you are golden, or it could be a full cavity search.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Stork17
Robert Blanchard
1983 110 (soon)

So a 2.25 or 2.5 made prior to 1972 (Remanufactured of course) would be okay? One would have to have proof of the age of the engine, that way there are no questions... Or does it apply to any engine regardless of age?

Follow-up Post:

Basically its a roll of the dice?
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Doug and Mike each have more experience than I do, so take my case with a pinch of salt.

This past summer I imported a 110, with my preferred engine an Isuzu 4BD1-T ala the Aussie spec 110's. In my case, the 4BD1-T was not the original engine, so I was a bit worried that I would get the "cavity search". It turned out that the key for me was:

"The vehicle must be in its original unmodified configuration. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines."

My 4BD1-T was a US spec engine built in 1989, with the label still attached, stating conformance with EPA certification...After Customs saw the cert label, it was clear sailing for me. YMMV. My understanding is that putting an older engine into a newer vehicle will be a no go, to get past the EPA requirement.
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stork17
So a 2.25 or 2.5 made prior to 1972 (Remanufactured of course) would be okay? One would have to have proof of the age of the engine, that way there are no questions... Or does it apply to any engine regardless of age?

Follow-up Post:

Basically its a roll of the dice?
To the letter of the law (take that for what you want) it has to have the engine it was born with (or a replacement of the same type). So if you have a 1983 110 with a 1972 2.25 that would not be the original engine and would be a no-go for EPA.
As it rolled out of the factory is what the EPA wants to see. If you changed anything the EPA says no-go. (unless you installed an EPA approved engine (as per the previous post))

Just find a nice 1983 110 with its original engine in place and import it, or take a risk.

There are a number of folks here that can help you with a stock 110 (global, etc.), or call Doug and get him to import one for you with the Tdi already in place and let him assume the risk. Pay him once it is stateside and through Customs... no risk on your end

Or forget the risk and buy the 1983 110 I have for sale as it is already here and ready to roll (sorry, I know that just wasn't right, but I had to.)

Old November 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Stork17
Robert Blanchard
1983 110 (soon)

A bit off the subject...Would it matter if it was a right hand drive that was switched to left hand drive when importing?
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:05 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Not if it is old (25 years or older).

If you are importing and Federalizing a 1993 110 through a Registered Importer it has to be factory built LHD and can not be a converted truck. Dumb rule, but it is a rule.

Old November 5th, 2008, 06:27 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Robert, PM'd ya.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, import, new engine