Importing parts from UK - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Importing parts from UK

Just thought I would let some forum members know. I went through and ordered a new steering box and other little things through a company called dingocroft in England, link below. Steering box cost me 400, and shipping was 125 for everything. Talking to the guy on the phone, he actually supplies a lot of the companies over here so you cut out the middle man if you order direct through him. But he doesn't have too much inventory online, but you call him and he can get anything you need pretty much.

http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
d90xjay
J Phillips
1997 D90 SW

Recently ordered a steering box from Meridian, paid way less than that and payed no shipping. Obviously you may of ordered a lot more parts with your order, but steering boxes can now be found Stateside for less than they used to.
Old September 21st, 2012, 01:06 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
If it's heavy, buy it here. If small and light, import. That's how I've handled it. Shipping on heavy items usuallu offsets any price savings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2012, 01:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90xjay View Post
Recently ordered a steering box from Meridian, paid way less than that and payed no shipping. Obviously you may of ordered a lot more parts with your order, but steering boxes can now be found Stateside for less than they used to.
I think he has a RHD box.
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Sometimes you have to pay duty when it gets here if ordered abroad, most times I have not but it can happen. I have shipped everything you can imagine for a truck as my luggage when I fly back from the U.K.. Tailgates, doors, seats, you name it. It was better when you could have 2 bags each but now having two little ones means their luggage allowance is usually car parts. I have also never been charged any extra for carrying parts as luggage.
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Sometimes you have to pay duty when it gets here if ordered abroad, most times I have not but it can happen. I have shipped everything you can imagine for a truck as my luggage when I fly back from the U.K.. Tailgates, doors, seats, you name it. It was better when you could have 2 bags each but now having two little ones means their luggage allowance is usually car parts. I have also never been charged any extra for carrying parts as luggage.
I guess it also matters if the 20% VAT is greater or less than any shipping/duties fess you'd encounter if you just had them shipped over - assuming the vendor in the UK will waive the 20%... which most seem to be unwilling to do.
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho

I guess it also matters if the 20% VAT is greater or less than any shipping/duties fess you'd encounter if you just had them shipped over - assuming the vendor in the UK will waive the 20%... which most seem to be unwilling to do.
I have never paid VAT. I ask them to quote without it....

Just had a starter shipped from RimmerBros and it was about $60 for shipping, got it in 2 days....
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:23 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Anyone not waiving the vat is in the wrong ... Remember vat is not due on second hand goods so its not a magic 20% discount.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Some of the UK vendors will list a price with and with out the VAT. Some of the not too good vender s list the VAT price but will not give you a credit for it thinking you will not know the difference. I have also had vendors credit me back the VAT after the sale has transpired. Always keep in mind that if you get the wrong part it is costly to ship it back. You have the price for shipping and the the import fees they get charged for the part coming into the country. (back to England) I have also been charged duties for items coming into the States but seems to very on the weight and who the shipper is. I haven't gotten those charges until a few weeks have passed after I received the package.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Had great experience lately with LRdirect, friendly website and good shipping prices.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:44 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I have always used Duncan over at Britcar. He has genuine, OEM, and knockoff and it's clear which you are buying. Never had a problem with anything I have bought.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Paddocks exclusively

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:35 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I like paddock to. Cheap and fast no VAT.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I compared the prices for my next order between LR series and Paddock, Paddock was about 100$ cheaper on a 600$ order. So I'll give Paddock a try this time.In Canada, if I can get delivery by Royal Mail, I never pay customs and duties. With FedEx and UPS, I pay customs, duties and a brokerage fee, which makes it about the same price as a local vendor. It takes a little more time, but the savings is significant.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 08:29 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

You should never have to pay for VAT if you are buying and sending it out of the England. And yes I had a good majority more things than just the steering box so shipping was a bit more due to that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
import, part, parts