Importing a vehicle as parts only. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 10th, 2016, 08:35 AM
bnoonan
Brice
1988 RHD 90

Importing a vehicle as parts only.

Hello all,

I've imported a running D90 and gone through all of that.
But now I'm keen to find a failed-MOT vehicle I can bring in as a source for parts. This vehicle would never be registered.
I saw a casual comment on a forum post suggesting a buyer "cut the vehicle in half" and then import it for parts.
If I do buy a worn old vehicle and want to bring it in for parts, does it have to be incomplete in some way (I would want the engine, etc.)? I'm guessing this precludes me using RoRo. Just throw it in a container and running-or-not it comes in as parts?

I appreciate any clarification.

Brice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2016, 08:43 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Why go to that trouble, even a mot failure running you can roro it, cheaper than a container.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old November 10th, 2016, 08:44 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Why go to that trouble, even a mot failure running you can roro it, cheaper than a container.
True, but I take it he isn't referring to a 25 year old car.

I don't have tons of experience here but I can tell you I have seen 'parts' held up because they shipped together or weren't disassembled enough for CBPs liking. Container holds are your worst enemy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2016, 09:16 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
Container holds are your worst enemy
It is a daily wallet raping.
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:34 AM
bnoonan
Brice
1988 RHD 90

Yes, JT is correct. I'm interested in options that include vehicles/parts that are <25 years old. So if I find a nice '94, how 'apart' does it need to be to be considered parts?

RoRo won't allow the engine to be removed and stuck in the tub. Whatever is rolled on has to be in one assembled piece (though it could be missing pieces). That is why I mentioned a container, but yes, the cost is much higher and I'd prefer to avoid that.
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
your proposal has high cost all over it. There are other ways to accomplish the goal of a large amount of usable parts delivered to your door without nearly the same risks.

brian@defendersnw.com
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:04 AM
bnoonan
Brice
1988 RHD 90

Thanks Brian. I thought that might be the case, but saw some 200tdi defenders that have reasonably low mileage for ~$2k. Add $2k for shipping and I also get a transmission, seats, axles, etc.. Seemed reasonable given what I'm looking at paying for just a 200tdi and a LT77. Notably these are BIG parts that are $$$ to have delivered to my door, again eating into the cost effectiveness of doing it as you suggest.

I do admit though that I'm new to importing vs. domestically sourcing parts and appreciate any specific recommendations.
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Rocky
Chris B
72 + D1 drivetrain =?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
your proposal has high cost all over it. There are other ways to accomplish the goal of a large amount of usable parts delivered to your door without nearly the same risks.

brian@defendersnw.com
What he says! ^^
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoonan View Post
Thanks Brian. I thought that might be the case, but saw some 200tdi defenders that have reasonably low mileage for ~$2k. Add $2k for shipping and I also get a transmission, seats, axles, etc.. Seemed reasonable given what I'm looking at paying for just a 200tdi and a LT77. Notably these are BIG parts that are $$$ to have delivered to my door, again eating into the cost effectiveness of doing it as you suggest.

I do admit though that I'm new to importing vs. domestically sourcing parts and appreciate any specific recommendations.
A £2000 MOT failure Defender is going to be mostly scrap, but thats for another discussion.

A 200tdi is likely going to be old enough to import within a couple years and storage overseas is cheaper than the efforts of getting it here sooner, and you would get a VIN out of the 25YO import as well.

Import costs are more like $4k-$6K after all the duties, paperwork, insurance, etc...

If you are talking about a £10K 300Tdi or Td5 then there are cost effective ways to get the bulk of the parts from a source truck to be used on your already imported restoration - less expensive than buying the individual parts but still $20K+ when all is said and done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
import, part, parts