Importing a Japanese NAS D90 to the US - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
terreneuve
Status: Offline
John
1997 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 40
Importing a Japanese NAS D90 to the US

Has anyone imported a 1997 D90 NAS that was built for the Japanese Market but complies to US NAS Specifications?

If so, can you reccommend a customs broker on the US West Coast who has experience in this?

Thanks for your help.
John
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:32 AM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreneuve View Post
Has anyone imported a 1997 D90 NAS that was built for the Japanese Market but complies to US NAS Specifications?

If so, can you reccommend a customs broker on the US West Coast who has experience in this?

Thanks for your help.
John
If it falls between the DOTs allowable VINs and built before a certain date it can be imported easily.
It also must still have the DOT/NHTSA decal in place in the LH footwell.
If it doesn't have the compliance sticker Customs will reject it (even if built within the correct dates and VINs).
Sadly know this from real world experience.


Land Rover
Defender 90
(manufactured before 9/1/97)
VIN :
"SALDV224*VA" or
"SALDV324*VA"
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM
D90user's Avatar
D90user
Status: Offline
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Sadly know this from real world experience.
I bet that was a PITA.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM
terreneuve
Status: Offline
John
1997 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 40
Talking

Do you know if this VIN is within the range acceptable?

SALDV3242XVA128664


Thanks again!
John


Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
If it falls between the DOTs allowable VINs and built before a certain date it can be imported easily.
It also must still have the DOT/NHTSA decal in place in the LH footwell.
If it doesn't have the compliance sticker Customs will reject it (even if built within the correct dates and VINs).
Sadly know this from real world experience.


Land Rover
Defender 90
(manufactured before 9/1/97)
VIN :
"SALDV224*VA" or
"SALDV324*VA"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreneuve View Post
Do you know if this VIN is within the range acceptable?

SALDV3242XVA128664


Thanks again!
John
It would appear to be, but I would run it by DOT/NHTSA to be sure (don't take my word for it). If its legal they'll tell you and that can be great ammo to have if the Customs guys try to give you a hassle.

You also need to check the build date. The build date will be on the decal in the LH footwell. It will have the VIN, a bar code and a month/year build date.
If the build date is before Sept 1, 1997 you are OK.

There are 90s with the correct VIN code that were built after that date. Those are not allowed in.

Yes, stupid I know...
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:22 PM
terreneuve
Status: Offline
John
1997 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 40
Talking

ECR

You have been a great help, thanks very much!!!

John
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM
ECR's Avatar
ECR
Status: Offline
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rockland, ME, USA
Posts: 4,614
There is more on our web site here:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/INFOD90.html

All the Japanese Spec 90s we have worked on have had their odometers replaced, but the trucks themselves have all been in great shape.
__________________
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
oilburner's Avatar
oilburner
Status: Offline
JL
large pile of parts
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: No guns, no crime, no one
Posts: 504
I noticed your location is NF Canada. If you are importing it into Canada, you should call Transport Canada as ECR's interpretation does not apply to vehicles imported into Canada and not the US. Just an FYI.
__________________
JL
1994 Defender 110 300TDI 3 door
Series/Defender 6BT/NV4500 crew cab project (slowly merging with the above)
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
maleger
Status: Offline
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 395
Registry
in Canada

For Canada you can find information here: http://www.importcartocanada.info/ or here http://www.riv.ca/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
terreneuve
Status: Offline
John
1997 D90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 40
You are right I am in Canada but Canada Customs will not allow the vehicle into Canada although it is admissable by RIV and Transport Canada.

The interesting part of the story is that I legally imported a 1997 D90 (Same Japanese Spec) from Dubai in 2003 via Montreal.

This time the D90 was coming from Japan into Vancouver but customs there think they are in a different country and won't allow the vehicle in - go figure!

So I was looking at importing it into the states as if the same truck was coming from the US into Canada they would allow it in - same truck but from a different country!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
jakethesnake's Avatar
jakethesnake
Status: Offline
Jake
95 D-90 ST
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DXB/LAX
Posts: 30
Will Land Rover re-issue the sticker that was originally located in the driver's footwell?

Why have all the 1997 Japanese imported D-90s in the U.A.E. had their stickers removed?

The one I picked up has the E.P.A. / D.O.T. conformance plaque under the hood, proper V.I.N. for importation, build date prior to 09/97 according to Land Rover Dubai's database, but no sticker in the footwell.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old December 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
discoinjapan's Avatar
discoinjapan
Status: Offline
Michael Bruzga
93 D1/ 94 D90 ST/96 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Yokosuka, Japan VIA PA
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake View Post
Will Land Rover re-issue the sticker that was originally located in the driver's footwell?

Why have all the 1997 Japanese imported D-90s in the U.A.E. had their stickers removed?

The one I picked up has the E.P.A. / D.O.T. conformance plaque under the hood, proper V.I.N. for importation, build date prior to 09/97 according to Land Rover Dubai's database, but no sticker in the footwell.

No they wont....I tried..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 14th, 2010, 05:52 PM
GYM's Avatar
GYM
Status: Offline
Gary
97 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreneuve View Post
This time the D90 was coming from Japan into Vancouver but customs there think they are in a different country and won't allow the vehicle in - go figure!

So I was looking at importing it into the states as if the same truck was coming from the US into Canada they would allow it in - same truck but from a different country!!!
Could you try going through the Port of Seattle? It's only 100 miles or so south of Vancouver. Might double check possible NAFTA issue going from WA in to BC, though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, import, nas

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'97 Nas D90 Sw Le #008/300 Classic Rover For Sale - Vehicles 19 November 28th, 2013 08:53 AM
1995 D90 NAS Frame, 3.9L V8 & Radiator for sale Barnett Childress For Sale - Parts 10 June 22nd, 2005 07:38 PM
NAS spec D90 tune resistor help required UKlandyandy Defender Technical Discussions 8 May 7th, 2005 07:05 AM
uk windshield frame vs. nas d90? steved90 Defender Technical Discussions 3 April 5th, 2005 09:07 AM
Non NAS D90 Hardtop lrnasd90 Wanted 1 April 24th, 2004 12:07 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Copyright