Importing a Defender - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:45 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Pretty clear, Thanks. that's nice to have for the file and for future reference.
It is a helpful document but I don't think it's clear at all. It suggests that in order to import an engine, you have to submit an EPA Form 3520-1 and declare code "W". However, if you do that then you are saying that the engine is to be installed in an EPA conforming vehicle before introduction into commerce.

But that isn't what happens. Instead, the non-chassis mounted engine is to be installed in an EPA EXEMPT vehicle. There is no box on Form 3520-1 that covers this scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:48 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
It is a helpful document but I don't think it's clear at all. It suggests that in order to import an engine, you have to submit an EPA Form 3520-1 and declare code "W". However, if you do that then you are saying that the engine is to be installed in an EPA conforming vehicle before introduction into commerce.

But that isn't what happens. Instead, the non-chassis mounted engine is to be installed in an EPA EXEMPT vehicle. There is no box on Form 3520-1 that covers this scenario.
that's when you say it's going to run a water pump on your farm!
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:58 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
that's when you say it's going to run a water pump on your farm!
No box to check for that either.

So if CBP insists on an EPA Form 3520-1, I guess you check box "W" and forget about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2013, 12:11 PM
88b9p
Jim
1994 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Did you check your voice mail before posting ?

Doug....check your pm
Thanks
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:06 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Did you check your voice mail before posting ?
Sorry guys.The Iphone D90 app. is so limited that I didn't realize that Doug contacted me before my posting. Doug did reach out to me. My trying to reach Doug consist of finding out who he was and getting his contact info. My trying to contact him was nothing wrong on his part. I have to thank him for his quick response. He is much quicker than my previous RI. Trying to reach them was like trying to contact Pres. Obama.
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
any engine in a Disco would be under 21 years, right? But moreover, I would assume one would not go through the hassle of importing an engine unless it was at least a 200Tdi (which still has a few years left before it's technically legal).
First year for the 200tdi was 1989 the year the Discovery was introduced.

2013-21=1992 (the last year of production for the 200tdi)

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2013 07:31 PM ------

Quote:
No box to check for that either.

So if CBP insists on an EPA Form 3520-1, I guess you check box "W" and forget about it.

response deleated.

almost disclosed how I do it

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:

Page 13 section 3.2
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
First year for the 200tdi was 1989 the year the Discovery was introduced.

2013-21=1992 (the last year of production for the 200tdi)

------ Follow up post added January 31st, 2013 07:31 PM ------

response deleated.

almost disclosed how I do it
Hey no need to divulge trade secrets!

I think we've discussed this before, the lack of knowledge of the regulations by any given customs officer as it relates to importing auto parts/vehicles. I recall you saying that you've been asked for HS-7 forms for engines, which ain't right. So I guess you have to decide whether you want to give them what they want or whether you want to argue the law with them. It makes sense just to go with whatever works.

If you are importing a non-chassis mounted engine, the age of the engine is irrelevant. The EPA states that it doesn't regulate importation of auto parts, only vehicles. There are no federal motor vehicle safety standards that apply to engines/transmissions, so NHTSA doesn't care either. EPA is set up such that a crime is committed when you mount that non-certified engine into a vehicle that is subject to EPA regulation.

What I don't understand though is why Form 3520-1 states that it has to be submitted to import a non-chassis mounted engine, when at the same time EPA says it doesn't regulate parts, only complete vehicles. That statement not only appears in the publication I linked above, but is also clearly made in CFR Title 19 Sec. 12.73(a), Applicability of EPA Requirements.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...259.49&idno=19

It's not my intention to write a treatise here but if there is a law forbidding import of non-chassis mounted 300tdi engines (or for that matter, TD5s and 2.4tdcis) then I can't find it.
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

look at it this way, it's not illegal to import a complete 2012 Puma as parts either, build it as one, with the VIN that it came with it and it's not a legal vehicle in the US. A 200TDI/300TDI, TD5 and anything newer has never been a type accepted engine in the US. Are they here, yep, are they installed in trucks, yep, are they legal at the federal level...nope

Depends if you see things black and white or grey
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:38 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I see where you are going with that, i.e., I import a 1988 110 with it's original drivetrain intact, then import piecemeal a bunch of 2012 Puma parts and turn the 1988 110 into the functional equivalent of a 2012 Puma. As far as I can tell that would be legal despite the fact that doing so is an end run around the law prohibiting the importation of newer vehicles.

From an enforcement aspect I think EPA/NHTSA would have to classify you as a manufacturer under those circumstances.
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:44 PM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Have been some posts stating that Land Rover in 1993 had diesels certified for the 110 but did not import any. The 300tdi.

Just repeating a possible urban legend, but it sounds quite plausible. ECR is very "legal" and they have done conversions forever.

jb
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:46 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

no, it wouldn't be "legal"...like I said, black and white or grey...
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:55 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I see where you are going with that, i.e., I import a 1988 110 with it's original drivetrain intact, then import piecemeal a bunch of 2012 Puma parts and turn the 1988 110 into the functional equivalent of a 2012 Puma. As far as I can tell that would be legal despite the fact that doing so is an end run around the law prohibiting the importation of newer vehicles.

From an enforcement aspect I think EPA/NHTSA would have to classify you as a manufacturer under those circumstances.
So what happens when I rebuild my '71 Series this summer, starting with a new galvy chassis up? Are the Federales going to come knocking?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:00 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
So what happens when I rebuild my '71 Series this summer, starting with a new galvy chassis up? Are the Federales going to come knocking?
just sell it all to me.
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:06 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Probably not, unless when you are done it ends up looking exactly like a Nissan Skyline GT-R.
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:14 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Probably not, unless when you are done it ends up looking exactly like a Nissan Skyline GT-R.
Ah, but what about when I use all new panels ? Actually joking, best part of a Series is the patina.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:16 PM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

That patina on a GT-R wouldn't look to sharp though...I'd rethink that.

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:17 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Read what I posted...Did you put a 300TDI in it? If so, that's not "legal"...is your series legal, who knows, but in some states when your replace the frame, it needs to meet safety and epa standards for the year it's built. Keep the topic to imports, motor swaps are a different ball game.

Read up on the nissan skyline...difference is they said they were kit cars, but did seize vehicles, not a urban legend, but true facts...
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
Read what I posted...Did you put a 300TDI in it? If so, that's not "legal"...is your series legal, who knows, but in some states when your replace the frame, it needs to meet safety and epa standards for the year it's built. Keep the topic to imports, motor swaps are a different ball game.

Read up on the nissan skyline...difference is they said they were kit cars, but did seize vehicles, not a urban legend, but true facts...
No, dog-ish 2.25 liter. But if I wanted put a 200tdi in it that should be no problem at all as far as EPA is concerned (many are 21+ years, and more every year). Agreed on keeping it on topic, but was just responding to the post about motors below. And likewise if I wanted to import a Series III (or whatever) and use it as parts should likewise be no problem, as long as everything was documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
look at it this way, it's not illegal to import a complete 2012 Puma as parts either, build it as one, with the VIN that it came with it and it's not a legal vehicle in the US. A 200TDI/300TDI, TD5 and anything newer has never been a type accepted engine in the US. Are they here, yep, are they installed in trucks, yep, are they legal at the federal level...nope

Depends if you see things black and white or grey
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, import