Importing a d-90 from Canada..need advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Cool Importing a d-90 from Canada..need advice

I saw a 1980 d-90(normally aspirated diesel) in Canada. I don't know about the paperwork involved in importing it and was hoping for help/ advice. I was also curious if the paperwork is accompanied by substantial fees? I own a 1984 d-90 which was imported for me; but, I did not handle the paperwork. I really like the truck; however, I don't want to get saddled with expensive and/or confusing paperwork that could complicate or delay importation. Thanks in advance for advice and/or information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2009, 04:19 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

They didn't make any 'defenders' in 1980, so right there you may have a problem... The "one ten" was first launched in 1983, and the "ninety" was launched in 1984.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I can't help you Mike, mine was a Grey Market brought here in the 80's

That Disco frame is finally stripped if you want it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2009, 05:58 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Here's the ebay ad... maybe a d-90 that is cobbled from an 88? Seems to be coil sprung like a more modern vintage Land Rover(not like a series). Anyway, advice on importing would be appreciated from anyone with knowledge or experience.

Listed in category: eBay Motors > Cars & Trucks > Land Rover > Defender

Watch this item

1980 Land Rover Defender Defender 90
Landrover Defender 90 Diesel 1980 Runs Super !

Time left: 5h 21m 22s (Dec 20, 200920:04:38 PST)

Bid history: 17 bids[Refresh]

Current bid: US $6,100.00
Reserve not met

Your maximum bid: US $

Place bidPlace bid
(Enter US $6,200.00 or more)

Shipping: To United States -- Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details.

Item Location: Montreal Quebec, Canada

Seller info
militarytires ( 1699)
100% Positive feedback
Ask a question
Save this seller
See other items

Other item info
Item number: 400092451956
Item condition: Used
Sells to: Worldwide

Description History Report Shipping Payment Before You Buy

Print
1980 Land Rover Defender Defender 90

Title: Landrover Defender 90 Diesel 1980 Runs Super !
Mileage: 71,200 miles

Vehicle Information
VIN: 00000000000000000 | See the free Vehicle History Report
Inspection: Order an independent inspection
Warranty: No
Vehicle title: Clear
Condition: Used
For sale by: Private seller

Features
Body type: -- Engine: 6 Cylinder Exterior color: Green
Transmission: Manual Fuel type: Diesel Interior color: Black
Drivetrain: -- Disability equipped: -- Certification: --

More Information
Options
4-Wheel drive
Sells to: Worldwide
See item description for shipping details.

Seller's feedback: militarytires ( 1699)
Contact the seller
It is important to contact the seller and have your questions answered to your satisfaction before you make an offer or bid on a vehicle. Use the "Ask seller a question" link at the top of the listing.
How to buy

If you have additional questions, please visit Buyer Services or the eBay Motors Help section.
© 1995-2009 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. eBay and the eBay logo are among the registered trademarks of eBay Inc. Kelley Blue Book® and Blue Book® are registered trademarks of Kelley Blue Book Co., Inc. Other trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Some automotive images © eVox Productions LLC, all rights reserved. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Old December 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
God, I hope you have personally looked at this. $6000+ for an NA Defender is a lot unless it has had a lot of work done to it. I assume it is an ex-BATUS truck. They are usually next to junk when they leave the base...

Seeing as the guy is lying about the age, I'd be very wary.
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Most of the ex BATUS 90/110s are 1987 and newer. Many of them are less than 15 years old so they can't even be registered here in Canada.
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What you see in the US is a very distorted view of reality...... In the real world Defenders are not worth any more than any other 4WD. What it is worth is very, very dependent on condition, which requires an inspection by someone knowledgeable. Unless you have driven it and have driven a 2.5NA, you should not be sending anyone money.... The TDI and the 2.5NA are completely different.

BATUS, http://www.lookingat.com/batus/

Follow-up Post:

OK, here is the ad, http://cgi.ebay.ca/Land-Rover-Defend...item5d275e5474

According to the VIN SALLDVAC8HA700550 it is a 1991 model and so they will not let it in.
http://www.landroveroneten.com/cgi-b...n=Check+my+VIN

Looks stock ex-military. Trust me, you want to drive one before laying out money. In stock condition, they are a "different" experience..... Also the pictures are missing of the areas that get beat quite badly by the squaddies.
Old December 20th, 2009, 11:20 PM
xrover
Len Cater
1997 D90

How about the fact the ad states it is a 6 cylinder diesel? When did they add 2 cyliders to the 2.5 NA? Now that's a mod!
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:33 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrover
How about the fact the ad states it is a 6 cylinder diesel? When did they add 2 cyliders to the 2.5 NA? Now that's a mod!
Just what i was going to add.

Maybe they counted the clutch & brake cylinder too?
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:40 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks for the helpful advice guys. I think that I will forego further inquiry on this car. Your input and knowledge gave me a better perspective on the truck.
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:15 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Mike,

In case you plan to import one in the future, maybe I can help. I imported a 1983 110 from Alberta last year to Florida and can give you my personal experience if it helps.

The importation process was actually pretty easy. Since it is over 25 years old, you don't have to worry about bringing it up to EPA standards. That is a simple 1-2 page form/declaration. Customs is another issue and another form to fill out. The easiest way to clear customs/EPA is to have a customs broker do it for you. It cost me about $350 and it was worth it because they took care of everything and I didn't have to fly out there to declare it. After the broker clears customs make sure they send you all the necessary paperwork to get it registered in your state. Sounds complicated but it's not. Getting the DMV to title and register it was the hardest part for me, even with all the proper documentation. They just didn't know what they were doing, they don't see too many imported trucks I guess.

It cost me $1750 to get it on a truck and shipped to Florida. Another couple hundred dollars to register it in Florida because I had to pay a separate sales tax on the purchase price of the truck. I also had to pay a duty tax enforced by customs, I think it was 3%, before it even crossed the border.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks again,
I'll keep your offeer in mind if I see another rover that looks interesting. I am really pleased with my1984 d-90 200tdi(it was imported by someone else from the UK), so I would definitely consider doing it again(buying an import).
Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, import