Defender Source Forum banner

Importing a 110 LHD

Tags
110 import lhd
3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Noyac40 
#1 ·
First time posting here. I have had several Rovers over the years; 95 Disco, 94 NAS D90, 04 Disco, and currently 16 LR4. Looking to import a LHD 110 in decent shape, but not perfect. I plan on doing the work myself and having shops do that things I can't.

My question is for those that have imported a 110, what did it end up costing to get the truck, do the paperwork, and have it shipped to the US?

Also, is there a huge difference in price between a LHD and a RHD?

Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
My experience was a little different. I was living in Europe in 2016 and bought a fairly decent 110 LHD with a strong running 300 TDI in it from a fellow Soldier. It came with a questionable 2.5NAD sitting in the mud beside it, which had to be dropped in before legal import. Did most of the work ourselves. I also used a global shipping company to get it from Mainz, Germany to Long Beach, CA.

The Numbers:

$7,000 -- 1984 110 CSW LHD. Came with all new doors, a ton of new parts, a 300 TDI and a rusty bulkhead.
$1,000 to get NAD in operational order -- fixed bent pushrods and bought DIP
-$500 -- sold DIP to DefenderSource member
$2,300 for shipping. Included import paperwork and import fees. Sailed through customs
$50 stevedore charge
$150 U-Haul trailer rental from Long Beach to Ft Huachuca, AZ
$0 -- shipped the 685lbs 300 TDI in household goods
-----------------
$10,000

$2400 to rebuild 300 TDI, LT77 and XFR Case. Didn't really need to do this. Still questioning decision
-----------------
$12,400 total -- but I still need to do the bulkhead, which I'll do with a buddy for the experience -- maybe $200 more

In the end, it's just money; however, doing all the above with my young son -- absolutely priceless. He even learned to drive in this iconic vehicle when he was 14 on an abandoned airfield in Wiesbaden, GE. How cool is that?

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

#8 ·
Mike at Riverhouse has a bunch of LHD trucks to import.... www.riverhousemini.com
This^^ If you must have LHD

I always recommend trying a RHD truck if you can as they are easier to drive than most people think and they're a little more unique. It took my wife a Saturday to get comfortable with LHD. Then use the cash you save on parts or upgrades to make the truck more reliable or safer.

#12 ·
The newer the truck the larger amount but I have noticed prices have leveled off in the past few months.
I got my LHD 1991 110 3 door from Valencia classic vehicles last year for $22K all imported with a VA title. I think several of the people mentioned above are well known and reliable for purchases and importation. I liked the fact that everything was done for me on the import side and I was guaranteed a US title as that made it easy for me to title it in my home state.
I agree that RHD is not a major difference in driving but I have really liked the LHD experience and would pay a little more in the future to purchase a LHD again. The drive thru Chick Fil A is easy with a truck full of kids for example.
Good luck in your search

#13 ·
I'd add you should seriously consider a trip to view the vehicle in person and hire an independent party to assist with the undercarriage and mechanicals. These mistakes will make a difference in your enjoyment and net cost of ownership. There are some pretty rough stories out there and these are only the ones that get reported.

#14 ·
UD brought mine in. Besides that I had a few additional expenses to include PPI and transport to the U.K. Besides the standard shipping, taxes, and transport from the east coast out here.

It's a fun experience doing it that way, as opposed to buying one already here.

Good luck.

#15 ·
I worked with Paul from Nene Overland (at the time) to import my 1991 LHD 110 several months back - He now runs his own operation called Brit Defender. I would suggest getting in touch with him - he was fantastic to work with and also helped arrange all the logistics for me, with ultimate deliver in Atlanta, GA. Feel free to PM me and I can give you much more complete details around the entire process.

#18 ·
Please bear in mind the exchange rate $ to Euro has changed considerably over the last 6 months. Be prepared to pay more than 15 % extra on the prices quoted by other board members earlier.

If you like to be different, I would buy a RHD truck.

If you like a good investment and better resale value I would invest some extra money and buy a LHD truck.

The main reason I buy LHD trucks ONLY is because mine are sourced down in Southern Europe where the climate is dry and sunny, very different from the climate in good ole "rainy" England.

#19 ·
91 LHD Tithonis, excellent condition 65K miles . 2.5 NA - cost, import fees shipping - Soup to nuts picked up in Baltimore cost me 15K. Bought it from Foley brothers in England - really great guys to work with, took the time to talk with me several times, keep me in the loop with email, arranged everything - including educating my import agent in Baltimore.

Foleys - Home

#20 ·
In 2011 I imported my LHD exmod 110 that I purchased from PA Blanchard after they refurbished it, MOT'd it and registered it. They are a good outfit and I would recommend checking with them if you are looking at exmod stuff. I happened to stop by their shop last week when in the UK and they have sold most if not all of their LHD 110s at this point.

I'm not even going to mention pricing because that was so long ago and I know it can't be replicated now. Saving my pennies for a few more years until Wolf XD becomes legal. They have a nice LHD Wolf XD ambulance sitting there now. Some lucky Canadian will probably end up with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.