Importing '88 D90. Options/need for Heritage Certificates and tech specs? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:07 AM
ITALY2AMERICA
Zachary Hoyt
88 D90 CSW

Importing '88 D90. Options/need for Heritage Certificates and tech specs?

Hey there! first time posting. I've searched and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, so forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I am active duty military stationed in Italy, and am attempting to purchase a non-military 1988 D90 to bring back to the states with me when my tour is up. I want to ensure that the import process goes as smoothly as can be expected. From the research I've done, I understand that in order to clear customs, the engine, gearbox, transfer case, axles, and chassis must be in the "original unmodified configuration." The seller has verbally told me that they are the originals, but I want to do my due diligence to avoid trouble.

First, what are the best resources for determining the serial numbers of these components when the truck came off the production line in '88? Once I have these, is a heritage certificate necessary for import? I see that the "Heritage Motor Center" of the British Motor Museum offers a Heritage Certificate with Technical Specifications, but it is about $100. If it's not necessary, I'd prefer not to spend the money. Any guidance is much appreciated!

Zack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:11 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I have a a copy of the pdf that Will Hedrick put together to do a VIN breakdown for Land Rovers. Sounds like you did some research and figured it out. Steering wheel location must be as it left the factory as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to Manually Decode a Land Rover VIN.pdf (227.4 KB, 46 views)
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:40 AM
ITALY2AMERICA
Zachary Hoyt
88 D90 CSW

thanks, I have verified that the VIN matches the description already, but what I am looking for is the really nitty gritty stuff that customs could look at. I want to find out what the serial numbers of the chassis, engine, axles, gear box, and transfer case were at the time of manufacture, to ensure that they have not been swapped out. If they have, the truck will most likely get tripped up in customs, from what I've heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:47 AM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

VIN number on chassis needs to match VIN number in engine bay and plate on seat box.
No galvanized frames for this reason.

Needs to be original type of engine, not necessarily the original engine. i.e. if came from factory with NA2.5 that's what has to be under the hood. An upgrade to a 200tdi when it originally came with a NA2.5 will not be importable.

Rest of components need to be substantially the same as original.

Obviously if the VIN decodes as a 3 door SW and its currently a 5 door SW you are going to be in trouble importing it.

Andy
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:48 AM
javelinadave
-
-

These is also this if you are lazy:
Clifton Scientific Text Services, the Netherlands
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:38 AM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
customs looks at Certificato di ProprietÓ , your bill best if it's in english from the seller in italia. make sure the certificato and the bill have the same owner name selling it to you. check that vin on brake booster is same as on the frame and that the engine is original . your done, fill out HS7 & 3520 take those 4 pieces of paper to US customs. drive car or have it dropped of at RoRo port Pisa comes to mind. done.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:42 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
Check the rules on the military shipping it back for you. I believe that you have to own it for at least 6 months or they will not ship it for you.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:34 PM
ITALY2AMERICA
Zachary Hoyt
88 D90 CSW

so do I not even need the heritage certificate? Anyone had them checked as part of the customs process? perhaps it would make the process run smoother?
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:19 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALY2AMERICA View Post
so do I not even need the heritage certificate? Anyone had them checked as part of the customs process? perhaps it would make the process run smoother?
Not required, they are not available for every Land Rover.

And according to Will Hedrick (defender of defenders), you cannot 100% trust the results CalVin provides, that's why I attached his pdf. I do not know the reasoning behind his statements, I am trying to relay this the same way he presented it in a different thread.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:35 PM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I'd get the heritage certificate. My friend shipped his jag back through the military shippers. They wanted proof it was what he said it was. Remember, the military shippers are the lowest bidder. The heritage certificate is cheap insurance!
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:35 PM
ITALY2AMERICA
Zachary Hoyt
88 D90 CSW

much appreciated. the answer is out there somewhere!
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:43 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
These is also this if you are lazy:
Clifton Scientific Text Services, the Netherlands
I would not recommend using CalVIN. Unfortunately, it is not 100% accurate and has led to issues for folks in some cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old March 2nd, 2016, 01:57 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Not required, they are not available for every Land Rover.

And according to Will Hedrick (defender of defenders), you cannot 100% trust the results CalVin provides, that's why I attached his pdf. I do not know the reasoning behind his statements, I am trying to relay this the same way he presented it in a different thread.
I submitted document referenced above in my big case in 2014. I have since revised and refined the document in question. Everyone can expect to see the latter published in an upcoming edition of LRO (i.e., Land Rover Owner International).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALY2AMERICA View Post
Hey there! first time posting. I've searched and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, so forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I am active duty military stationed in Italy, and am attempting to purchase a non-military 1988 D90 to bring back to the states with me when my tour is up. I want to ensure that the import process goes as smoothly as can be expected. From the research I've done, I understand that in order to clear customs, the engine, gearbox, transfer case, axles, and chassis must be in the "original unmodified configuration." The seller has verbally told me that they are the originals, but I want to do my due diligence to avoid trouble.

First, what are the best resources for determining the serial numbers of these components when the truck came off the production line in '88? Once I have these, is a heritage certificate necessary for import? I see that the "Heritage Motor Center" of the British Motor Museum offers a Heritage Certificate with Technical Specifications, but it is about $100. If it's not necessary, I'd prefer not to spend the money. Any guidance is much appreciated!

Zack
Zack,

Good afternoon (or evening as the case is where you are)! I have several clients who are active military and serving overseas and I have an existing relationship with IAL (International Auto Logistics). I happily provide reduced rate import consultations for all active duty military personnel in advance of shipping Land Rovers from overseas. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to set-up a time for a consultation. My email is:

will@williamhedricklaw.com

Just remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:26 AM
Ric
Rick Hernandez
1989 Land Rover 90

Hi Zack,

Did you ever figure out the process and required documents? I picked up a 1989 Land Rover 90 on a ski trip to Italy and drove it back to the UK. I will also soon be in the process of shipping it to the States and trying to get some clarity.

Thanks,

Rick
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:04 AM
new110owner
Mike
1985 110

So if the OP purchased the vehicle in Italy and wants to determine if it was first sold in that country what is the best way to confirm he is not buying a LHD Defender that was in service somewhere else for 20 years before it showed up in Italy at the time he purchased it?
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:15 AM
Ric
Rick Hernandez
1989 Land Rover 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by new110owner View Post
So if the OP purchased the vehicle in Italy and wants to determine if it was first sold in that country what is the best way to confirm he is not buying a LHD Defender that was in service somewhere else for 20 years before it showed up in Italy at the time he purchased it?
Not sure if I'm entirely clear on what you are asking, but to my knowledge this is what the Heritage Certificate would confirm. According to the Jaguar Heritage website "The Certificate gives all the relevant information on your car taken from the original records. It will confirm the original numbers and colour scheme, give the dates of build and despatch, as well as the original destination of the car. Where recorded, the name of the first owner and the original registration mark are also included on the Certificate. We offer this service for all cars which are more than ten years old."

Hope this helps,

Rick

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, import