Import for parts use. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:00 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Import for parts use.

Is it legal to import a newer-ish Defender for parts use only?

Nm.......just read the NHTSA BS. Sounds like more of a hassle than its worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:14 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Is it legal to import a newer-ish Defender for parts use only?

Nm.......just read the NHTSA BS. Sounds like more of a hassle than its worth.
Yes, just have to cut it in half first.
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
you could pull the engine and ship the rest.

-Jeff
Seems like that would be a lot easier to move
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2012, 11:57 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Trans has to come out as well IIRC? No engine and trans = Parts, from what I remember last time I looked at the regs. Others will know for sure though.
Old October 15th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Think that'll work.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have done this with a brand new truck. I asked permission rather than begging forgiveness. It got a lot of scrutiny and they wanted the VIN even though I was importing it as "donor parts for a restoration". This can be done if you have a cooperative agent on the UK side. I had the truck dissasembled to the point where NHTSA didn't say no anymore when I sent them pictures before shipping it. In a nutshell the engine,trans,transfercase, both driveshafts, radiator and intercooler must be removed. All lights and lenses, fuel lines etc, that aren't dot approved also had to be removed. They asked for the codes on all of the window glass so had to take pictures of the code in each.They wanted the brake lines that weren't dot approved parts removed but I wanted to ship the carcass ro/ro so argued that point and they let me keep the brakes and steering intact.

Know this- they are highly suspicious that the truck will be re-assembled here and its their job to prevent that from happening to the extent that they can.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I have done this with a brand new truck. I asked permission rather than begging forgiveness. It got a lot of scrutiny and they wanted the VIN even though I was importing it as "donor parts for a restoration". This can be done if you have a cooperative agent on the UK side. I had the truck dissasembled to the point where NHTSA didn't say no anymore when I sent them pictures before shipping it. In a nutshell the engine,trans,transfercase, both driveshafts, radiator and intercooler must be removed. All lights and lenses, fuel lines etc, that aren't dot approved also had to be removed. They asked for the codes on all of the window glass so had to take pictures of the code in each.They wanted the brake lines that weren't dot approved parts removed but I wanted to ship the carcass ro/ro so argued that point and they let me keep the brakes and steering intact.

Know this- they are highly suspicious that the truck will be re-assembled here and its their job to prevent that from happening to the extent that they can.
That is really not bad at all. I wonder what a take out puma drivetrain is worth?
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

One way of getting a diesel engine in
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

question on the puma - can you sell that to another person and then they could import it? although might be easier to sell it locally in England though and you would probably get more for it as well and just use a 300 tdi in a new shell. Sell all the take off stuff in England as a package.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:42 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

So what I got out of the regs was what Mr. Crowther said above....any non conforming parts have to be removed. I got to wondering if importing a TD5 or newer 110 for parts use only would work. I'm hankering for a diesel that will work in front of the ZF as a daily driver and 3 new doors, but Im assuming a TD5 falls under the non-conforming piece. Or if i had the engine removed and shpped separately..... Figured I'd part out the rest of the truck to fund the project If there was a way, a couple of us needing different parts should go in on one newer-ish 110. . Pipe dreams, probably.
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I need a roof!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 19th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I wish sometimes it was as easy as in other countries I have lived in....grease the palms....away you go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
import, part, parts