Imperial Fan Clutch replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2006, 11:44 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Imperial Fan Clutch replacement

I'm not sure which Rover a 215157 Imperial Fan Clutch fits, but it's not the 94-95 D90. I just picked one up from Advance Auto, with the Help! kit RoverChic mentioned. I should have brought the stock clutch to compare at the store, but I was on my bike. First issue I noticed was the shaft is about an inch longer than the stock one, and I didn't think the fan would clear the radiator. But then it didn't matter because the water pump threads are too big.

Perhaps this works for the 97 D90s? I dunno. I'd love to find an inexpensive replacement for the stock viscous fan clutch, because then I'd stick with the mechanical instead of switching to the electric fans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by souza
I'm not sure which Rover a 215157 Imperial Fan Clutch fits, but it's not the 94-95 D90. I just picked one up from Advance Auto, with the Help! kit RoverChic mentioned. I should have brought the stock clutch to compare at the store, but I was on my bike. First issue I noticed was the shaft is about an inch longer than the stock one, and I didn't think the fan would clear the radiator. But then it didn't matter because the water pump threads are too big.

Perhaps this works for the 97 D90s? I dunno. I'd love to find an inexpensive replacement for the stock viscous fan clutch, because then I'd stick with the mechanical instead of switching to the electric fans.
Oh I am soo sorry Souza! It is for the 4.0L.....If you re-read the the thread I did post the NAPA Part number which I know for sure works on a 3.9L truck. It is 84.xx plus tax. I am sorry again...Ugg!! I did you a dis-service by posting wrong info!
Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:01 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Don't sweat it roverchic, it's good to hash it all out so everyone knows. I checked my local NAPA and the have that number for the price you mentioned, so I think I'm going to try that one out later today.

So all is well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Hi all. I am quite confused. I bought the NAPA part referenced and it does not fit. The nut is considerably larger than the 32 mm one on the original (1995 ST, 3.9L) but otherwise apears similar, if not the same. It is definetely the NAPA 271304. The original is marked ERC-5708 as noted in another post. Is it possible I have a different pump? Any guidance is greatly appreicated.

Oh, and it has been running in the 220 ish range (no boil-over) according to my VDO temp gauge that seems to be pretty accurate. Anyone know if that is dangerous (ie:dropped sleeve temp?)

Thanks~
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:36 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Opps, I guess I never replied back to this thread... perhaps I started another because I'm pretty sure I posted back about this somewhere... in any case, the NAPA part didn't fit either. As far as I'm still aware, there is no replacement for the 3.9 engine, from NAPA or Imperial.
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:21 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

I just did mine today (well yesterday now). I went to Autozone and got one for $120. I don't know the part # but I just told them the year and model and it was the easiest install ever, just used a screwdriver and a hammer to get the nut loose.
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee
I just did mine today (well yesterday now). I went to Autozone and got one for $120. I don't know the part # but I just told them the year and model and it was the easiest install ever, just used a screwdriver and a hammer to get the nut loose.
Damn I'm gonna try that, how big of a screwdriver do you gotta use? Does it have to be sharp? BTW you get a lifetime warranty on the autozone fan clutch so I think its worth the $120 bucks. They put a record of your purchase on a computer so no more holding on to faded receipts.
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Not meaning to bump this, but figured I would follow up with the P/N from AutoZone. THe clutch looks identical to the one that came off the d-90 (1995 3.9l V8 NAS). The Autozone part number Dennis was referring to is: 922301 and the mfg is TorqFlo, made in Germany. Anyways, perfect fit and all is well there anyways. THanks again!
Old September 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
Damn I'm gonna try that, how big of a screwdriver do you gotta use? Does it have to be sharp? BTW you get a lifetime warranty on the autozone fan clutch so I think its worth the $120 bucks. They put a record of your purchase on a computer so no more holding on to faded receipts.
I just used a screwdriver that was long enough to reach the nut. 6-8 inches maybe. You just have to give it a good whack. The part was the torqflo as mentioned above.
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Do the wrenches not work on the fan clutch? Why does everyone beat it up with a hammer? I found part number from Advance Auto Parts is Imperial 215053. Do you have to take the fan shroud off?
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
I just replaced my viscous fan clutch pn: ERC5708. It is much easier to remove the fan shroud when doing so. I rented tools from AutoZone to remove/install the clutch. Simple fix...

Good Luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Damn, old thread - thought Souza was back for a minute...

Ditto on the rented tools from autozone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clutch, fan, fan clutch