I'm baaack!!! and I need some help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Smile I'm baaack!!! and I need some help

Hey boys, it's been a while. I haven't been doing much with the 90 lately as my wife was pregnant and recently gave birth to a bouncing baby boy . Now that the baby's here, I've got to slim down on the toys. A normal person would sell the 90 and keep the '04 Dodge Ram, but not me. Other way around! I figure the dodge is expendable, the 90 not so easily replaced... besides I work from home and don't drive much. That's current plan anyway, we'll see what happens.

ANY-HOOO... After about a year of neglect, the 90's in need of some maintenance. I just got it back with new oil lines, full clutch replacement, u-joints, and a nice tune up. But she's got a few remaining issues...

1) Leaking power steering fluid like a sieve, not sure from where yet.
2) The alternator belt is loose (alternator might be making some noise too)
3) Waterpump getting loud, bearing-type noise, though I've been told it might still run that way for a while
4) Most immediate problem: She's running hot (This damn truck has always run hot, and I've replaced everything cooling-related over the years).

I figured out tonight its the bastard viscous unit, AGAIN . This would be the 3rd in 6 years. A while back I went with Flex-a-lite 210's like many here, but I had 2 issues with them: 1) they never turned off once on. I think this was a rad issue, just plugged up so they couldn't cool past 189F (rad since been replaced with a 4 row re-core) and 2) the bigger issue, the rubber gasket surrounding the fan shourd fell INTO the spinning fans while driving. That destroyed one of the fan blades. Between those issues, I hanked the 210s.

But I did hang on to them, and instead of spending upwards of $175 on yet another viscous unit, I'm thinking of going back to the 210s. I think with the new radiator they'll work correctly and I never removed the electrics, so that part will be easy enough. I can get a replacement fan blade from summit for $13.50, but the problem is that gasket... I'm not sure what to do about that. I don't have any of it remaining on my 210 should, so I'm not sure what it looked like and if I can get something generic or not. Flex-a-lite doesn't seem to have it as a replacement part. Any thoughts from you guys that run them now on what could be put there in place of it? Do any of the engine guru's out there think I can either 1) not bother with it or 2) use something else in place like door rubber, etc?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2006, 04:07 AM
DEF110
Vern Lawrence
1983/ 110

Get a length of 3/8 fuel hose, split it so it makes a C shape. Slide it over the edge of the fan shroud and secure with RTV or you could drill small holes every 3 to 4 and use zip-ties to secure the hose to the shroud. If you use the RTV I would at least use the zip-ties on the ends at the point the two ends meet.
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Dave Vern has the answer! The gasket doesn't have to be perfect as it isn't holding much if any pressure. The other problems seem pretty minor, oh and don't forget, the big nut on the fan spinns off backwards! You would think some of us would remember that, but umm sometimes we are dumb and forget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2006, 08:00 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Thanks Vern, sounds like a plan. I will give it a shot.

Mike, I've had the 'secret' for removing the stock fan nut for years... takes 30 seconds everytime. Big hammer, big flat blade screw driver... just hit in the right direction!
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:18 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

welcome back Dave, you made the right choice keeping the 90. Get it all running before the 20th and come to florida road for the weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Holy shit, it's Dave Souza!

Welcome back!
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

It might be a while before I'm doing any overnights jimmy, but I'm hoping to get in an occasionally day trip here and there. It'll be nice to catch up with you guys, it's been way too long!
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:23 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by souza
It'll be nice to catch up with you guys, it's been way too long!
Uh Huh. btw tell yr wife she done good; and congrats.
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

A normal person would sell the 90 and keep the '04 Dodge Ram, but not me. Other way around! I figure the dodge is expendable, the 90 not so easily replaced...

At least you've got your priorities right.

Couple of possibilities (even though there are a bunch more). My Disco's power steering leak turned out to the reservoir. I've also seen power steering leaks that turned out to be a steering box in need of replacement. Hopefully, yours is just a hose or the reservoir.
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Both my Disco and D-90 leak where the hose attaches to the bottom of the reservoir. I've just gotten used to adding more fluid.
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel[i
[/i]
Couple of possibilities (even though there are a bunch more). My Disco's power steering leak turned out to the reservoir. I've also seen power steering leaks that turned out to be a steering box in need of replacement. Hopefully, yours is just a hose or the reservoir.
I was about to suggest the same. My reservoir was replaced about a year ago, with similar leaking down the hose and other parts below.
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:27 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I was looking at the power steering today (spent the day on the truck, much needed) and it seems to be either the reservoir itself, or the hose at the connection as you suggest. What's the best route if it's the connection? Seems to metal crip deal (still pretty cruddy, I've got to clean it off more)

I pulled the AC out today, hadn't planned on it, just started by removing the radiator to clean it, then the condenser b/c it was so jammed up the fan wouldn't turn, then said screw it and removed the rest! It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would, and I gave the front end a nice cleaning while it was all apart. Man does mud get stuck between the rad and condensor! Found a buyer for the AC today as well!

I ordered up 2 new fans for the flex-a-lites, and tested the fan motors on the unit, all is well. I can't seem to located my old VW temp sender to control, so I guess it's off to NAPA. I'll get that fuel line while I'm there.

Yes, the 90 and I spent some much needed quality time together today. I haven't wrenched that much on her in years, felt good. I explained my plans for her, and that we'd be spending much more time together, and that though she might be tempted to be spiteful for my past neglect, the best thing for both of us is to just move on and enjoy our time together. I promised to maintain her more attentively, so long as she doesn't leave me stranded... too much. I think we got it all worked out.
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

If memory serves correct, the reservoir was replaced because it cracked where the hose attaches. At least it is a cheap part.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac