Defender Source Forum banner

Ill effects of short distance drives

Tags
drives
2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Broncoduecer 
#1 ·
What are the ill effects of short distance daily drives? My daily work comute with my D110 will so be about 3 miles. I am putting in a new 4.6 and do not want to mess it up. What can I do to prevent damage?

#4 ·
the way they drive here in AZ my NAS D110 is barley safe enough to drive
would not last long before someone ran me over!

#6 ·
here is a bike for horsey...
click here--->yikebike

#9 ·
I picture horseys pants are all worn like his rotors. All that calf rubbing can't be good for his dockers.

Back to topic. I have a friend who had to put an exhaust in their 90 after only 10k miles. They only drove a few miles a day and the exhaust never got hot enough to burn water out of it.

#10 ·
Jon,
My commute is roughly 6 miles each way and I dont think that it accelerated the wear on mine in any way. I am a couple of years into a replacement LR Y-Pipe and NRP cat back and dont have any unusual exhaust deterioration. I lived in Scottsdale for several years with my 90 and my commute was probably 4 miles each way. You owned that truck after me and I dont recall doing any unusual maintenance on that vehicle either.
Matt

#11 ·
The primary thing is increased water vapour in both the exhaust and oil that doesn't steam-off but condenses due to the cold oil and exhaust system. (7L of water for every 1L of petrol burned)

Running it hot enough every few days will help a lot with the exhaust, the recommended oil change interval on RV8s is incredibly short so if you stick to it you should be OK on the additional contamination, checking the valve covers for sludge after the first 3-4 months would be a good indication on whether you're getting the moisture out or not.

Other than that just the normal thermal stress issues but I'm fairly sure that RV8s fail due to other issues first anyway. :)

#13 ·
Good advise guys thanks..
I guess change the oil every 3-4 months and do the italian tune up.

On a side note

Jon

I saw a pic of your truck and cars and coffee in Scottsdale. Looks good for sure.
Ah yes, there were several exotic cars there (I think you are talking about the Scottsdale exotic car club). My D110 got more attention than most including the two new Mercedes SLS, and Ferrari 458 et al...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.