Ignition wiring question 94 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Ignition wiring question 94 90

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the correct placement of the wires on the back of the ignition switch for a 94 90? Mine was a wreck/rollover purchased off of ebay and it arrived running, but with a 10 wire jury rig going all over the place( and the fuel pump relay removed/jumped) I have removed all that and am trying to square things away and get it to start again. The workshop manual's I have dont show the wires placement on the back of the switch: I have a brown (incoming power) c28-1,a grey (heavy guage)presumably this is supposed to be white that feeds nearly everything including fuse #1 which keeps blowing, a white with red stripe(to starter relay), and a white with orange stripe(cant figure out what this feeds) not addressed in any of the diagrams.
Main fuse (engine compartment) B 60amp is also blowing this labled accessories and air con.This is supposed to be battery feed to fuses 1,2,13,14,15. as I previously mentioned intereior fusebox-fuse 1 pops at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Trade you for a trailer ride for my 'new to me D90' Anthony in Arlington said he could store it for me a bit. I could maybe bring some junk out you might need when I come fetch it and maybe dinner and

If thats not possible I'll still try to get you the diagram. I have a homemade one I use for just this situation.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

got the truck to start but the white wire on the back of the ingnition switch is not being powered by the switch. If I pull the 5 pin fuel pump relay all fuses stop blowing. I took power from the brown wire feeding the ignition switch, ran that to s simple 2 position togle switch and then into an inline fuse holder and then plugged that wire into the ecu/fuelpump feed off of the relay socket so the truck now will start and run. Any idea why the fuel pump relay would make fuses blow ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2007, 12:20 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yes. If the case is crushed on the fuel injection relay the metal case will short terminals inside of it and blow fuses, create havoc etc... Try that. You can pry the case off and straighten it to reuse. Don't replace it with the incorrect style relay.

Often they get pinched by A/C evaporators in early trucks.

JP

Old May 8th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Jim,

I'm playing this game with all new relays and fuses. Every switch other than the heat and a/c is new. The a/c system is 2/3rds removed to improve access to the inside of the truck. Two of the leads in that fule pump relay are hot at all times-ie not switched. Is that the way the fuel pump relay socket is supposed to be ?
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:02 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

We need to talk in the evening when you are looking at the truck. And I can look at something here to help you backtrack the problem. Maybe this evening?

JP

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Crowther
Jim,

I'm playing this game with all new relays and fuses. Every switch other than the heat and a/c is new. The a/c system is 2/3rds removed to improve access to the inside of the truck. Two of the leads in that fule pump relay are hot at all times-ie not switched.----------------That does not sound correct, Key off? ----------------- Is that the way the fuel pump relay socket is supposed to be ?

Above note

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, wiring